Re: (SOLVED) A few minor improvements

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: (SOLVED) A few minor improvements

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-09-22, 16:57

Hello,

Today I was wondering if maybe a few minor added features/enhancements could make to the official stable release of Pale Moon v26.0.0. For starters, I would like to see a restart button/option be added in Pale Moon drop down menu. Why? Well because I'm always experimenting with new add-ons and configuring Pale Moon around they way I like it. So at time when things get sticky, I would like to just have an automatic restart:
firefox5-restart-less.png
firefox5-restart-less.png (28.65 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
And how about something to indicate when there is a new search engine to be added (a little round green circle or something else) in the search bar. This actually reminds to add whatever search engine I was searching with to the search bar:
lCkZe.jpg.png
One more I would like to see in the upcoming Pale Moon release (v26.0.0) is more search engines to the context menu, or context search:
Context-Search-Firefox-Add-on-Brings-All-Search-Engines-Together.jpg

Well I hope these features can be added, especially the restart button/option. :)
Last edited by LimboSlam on 2015-10-12, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

jumba

Re: A few minor improvements

Unread post by jumba » 2015-09-22, 17:46

I vote for the expand search for context menu with all search engines! I've always installed an addon for it. I'm currently using this : https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/yet-an ... xt-search/
It is a feature that should be available for everyone.

The restart button was discussed earlier. If I remember right the result was that it is better to remain as an addon.

The new search engine indicator could be useful, but I wouldn't need or use it personally.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2015-09-22, 17:50

I restart PM via Shift+F2 and type restart.
Works fine , no need for an add on.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-09-22, 18:09

superA wrote:I restart PM via Shift+F2 and type restart.
The majority of the users don't go this far to restart the browser.

ascii_elite

Unread post by ascii_elite » 2015-09-22, 20:20

Actually, this does not work for the Pale Moon Atom build users.

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-09-22, 20:47

Quick Restart went out of development years ago, but as a quick, preferably one click, restart was important to me, I edited install.rdf. Given how it does one basic thing and does it well, unsurprisingly it creates no issues, as been proven over several years on FF and then PM. I have it to the right of the search box.
image001.png
Nb. I haven't found a Firefox or Pale Moon build this doesn't work on.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-09-22, 20:53

Yes this does not work for me at all, and I'm pretty sure not many average users use their key-bored for shortcuts or know anything about that. Plus, wouldn't it be faster to just exit out?
jumba wrote:I vote for the expand search for context menu with all search engines!

Yes me too! I mean yeah there's extensions for this, but why not integrate it? Should be easy, right?
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Eleventy_Threeve

Unread post by Eleventy_Threeve » 2015-09-23, 00:40

Again, there are a number of extensions that will provide this. Toolbar Buttons has a restart button and there are some extensions just for it. Grab one you like and there you go!

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2015-09-23, 02:51

Personal Menu 5.1 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... /versions/ (scroll down a bit) can also give you Restart from the Pale Moon button drop-down menu.

For really badly behaving programs that aren't responding Sysinternals Process Explorer will restart just about anything in Windows. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sys ... 96653.aspx It's a very useful bit of kit to have for all sorts of things.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-09-23, 06:56

sIDcORK wrote:Personal Menu 5.1 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... /versions/ (scroll down a bit) can also give you Restart from the Pale Moon button drop-down menu.
Tried this awhile back and could not find the restart button/option. Was it removed?

But I strongly feel this should be added as a feature/option in the drop down menu, I really do. Well because it's becoming a common action for more and more users to do, with or without a restart button. So wouldn't it make sense to just make it easier on the user and implement it, a more professional and pretty way of doing this action, another efficient way of doing this?? Isn't this one of Pale Moon Morals and Values, "focusing on efficiency and ease of use." I mean if we don't implement or consider the smallest, but yet is common (used widely) and efficient features into Pale Moon, then what's the point of being your own; might as well be "Firefox 24 stuck in time" (which I know we are not, under the hood at least and at heart)?? MC, Matt, guys, if we don't step up and do the little things, then someone else will and most likely it'll be Firefox, Chrome or both.

Though who am I to speak, I know very little coding.
sIDcORK wrote:For really badly behaving programs that aren't responding Sysinternals Process Explorer will restart just about anything in Windows. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sys ... 96653.aspx It's a very useful bit of kit to have for all sorts of things.
I will look into this, thanks.

NOTE: I hope no one is not mad at me for saying what I had to say, I really mean no disrespect by this and I will understand if I get yelled at, as the comment (quote) I made up above is quiet aggravating. Sometimes, if you have to be straight to someone for them to understand; the hard truth.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2015-09-23, 12:31

Restarting a browser manually should not be a common feature. Why would anyone want to do it?

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-09-23, 13:07

jumba wrote:Restarting a browser manually should not be a common feature. Why would anyone want to do it?
I wouldn't say that it should be a common feature, nor that it should not. However, it isn't difficult to code - it's already there for completing add-on installations/updates. Otoh it isn't difficult to add a Restart button via add-on.

Nb. The one I mentioned previously ('Quick Restart'). The point about the history of running it is it was thoroughly tested. All the Restart add-ons of the time were tested and the simplest non-buggy one (e.g. no disappearing button) kept, which is why when it was discontinued I didn't switch to one of the others.

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2015-09-23, 14:45

Tried this awhile back and could not find the restart button/option. Was it removed?
No, it's still there, you have to use the Edit This Menu... function to get it.

I have never used it though, the only time I can see it being of any use is if a program isn't responding, unfortunately programs that aren't responding don't respond to mouse input, effectively meaning it is a useless function as far as I can see.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-09-23, 15:05

I keep a restart button on my status bar and it comes in handy, for example when I make a settings change and I want to make sure that it is still in effect after restarting, when I'm messing with certain add-ons, etc. It's not critical, but it's handy for my use. I'm fine with using an extension for this functionality.

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-09-23, 15:19

x-15a2 wrote:I keep a restart button on my status bar and it comes in handy, for example when I make a settings change and I want to make sure that it is still in effect after restarting, when I'm messing with certain add-ons, etc. It's not critical, but it's handy for my use. I'm fine with using an extension for this functionality.
Damn handy if you've got two-dozen add-ons and something isn't working right, so you disable them all and re-enable, one-by-one, to find out which!

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2015-09-23, 15:25

LimboSlam wrote:But I strongly feel this should be added as a feature/option in the drop down menu
I just learned about shift-F2 here. I would call this sort of things extraordinary actions. I do not think I would ever use a "restart" (if I really get stuck, I quit, or kill the process, then restart it from the command line and do a session restore.

If there is something I miss from the File menu is a way to close the current window (I use control-W for that)
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2015-09-23, 16:33

Damn handy if you've got two-dozen add-ons and something isn't working right, so you disable them all and re-enable, one-by-one, to find out which!
Much quicker to disable half your add-ons at a time. In the case of 24 you disable 12, that a 50% chance you've disabled the bad one, if you have reenable 6, again, 50% chance. In just two restarts you've gone from 24 possible culprits to 6. Halve that six you are left with just three. Much faster, it also makes finding conflicting add-ons quicker too.

Joel Cairo

Unread post by Joel Cairo » 2015-09-23, 17:36

sIDcORK wrote:
Much quicker to disable half your add-ons at a time. In the case of 24 you disable 12, that a 50% chance you've disabled the bad one, if you have reenable 6, again, 50% chance. In just two restarts you've gone from 24 possible culprits to 6. Halve that six you are left with just three. Much faster, it also makes finding conflicting add-ons quicker too.
You'd have to time it; but I'd say no, not really; not when you have just one button to disable all add-ons at once, along with having a suspicion of the rogue, and not being a Math geek. I suspect more people than not would need pen and paper to keep track of that. Or maybe that'd just be me!

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2015-09-23, 17:49

Is the reason being handy for addon debugging enough to add it to the browser core?

Maybe people start to abuse it and it will need to be removed. :mrgreen:

Also if you disable addons in the about:addons, wouldn't it be easier to click the restart browser link that is shown on the left of the enable/disable button when restart is required?

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-09-23, 23:28

Hahahaha, ok you guys. So are really saying that it wouldn't come in handy at all! :wtf: :D Sorry, just amazed. I mean that's like not having a bookmark button (star in the awesome bar) in the awesome/address bar, but yet it the context menu? Also, I think it makes no sense having an exit button there with no option of a restart, you might as well remove that as I don't see how people find that useful and if they even use it when you have a big exit button up on top. Now a restart button/option you don't.

Are you guys getting how I feel and saying?

Well I guess the way I do things is not how everyone does it or should, I don't know, I just feel crowded with all these add-ons doing little small jobs.

So, about the other stuff??