More toolbar icons for basic browser functions/options

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

More toolbar icons for basic browser functions/options

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-09-14, 14:25

More of a general suggestion than a feature request, so I'll try to make it a bit more specific. Plugins Toggler is what the title says, a smart, standard icon for quick plugin selection. This simple method is way quicker and more flexible than entering the Add-ons Manager.

More suggestions for similar icons: Firefox compatibility mode on/off, Extensions toggler (more complicated perhaps), Spelling Check on/off etc.

The idea is not to overburden the UI but to make often-used basic functions/options (but not all options, obviously) available as icon shortcuts, for a faster browsing experience.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: More toolbar icons for basic browser functions/options

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-09-14, 15:12

So you want us and every theme out there to create these icon buttons.. then update 91 langpacks for these buttons.. just so you can change a few prefs? Why not use that custom buttons extension and do it your self.. I personally don't need to change those options except rarely and when I can just go in and change them.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-09-15, 09:16

Switching firefox compat' mode on the fly is realy useful. ^^
I don't know what exactly would fit to be added, but it won't hurt. Back2themoon suggestion is not just about buttons to switch some pref', but also accessing some things quicker I think.
Doing an argumented list of new buttons requested would make the suggestion clearer.

For the langpacks, they will be in need of update for PM26 anyway.
For the themes, yes they may use the standard icon until new are created, but using custom buttons or any other way won't be better on that side anyway. It's a false issue.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2015-09-15, 12:07

My opinions if I would need these buttons:

plugin selection button
:thumbdown: plugins are not required to be configured that often.

Firefox compatibility mode toggle button
- maybe or a site specific configuration in permissions tab. I would show a list of the options for most used site permissions in the popup that is shown when the site fav icon is pressed on url bar. that would be the button to quickly toggle these kind of settings per site.

Extensions toggler button
:thumbdown: same as with plugins and if an extension requires toggling on/off its functionality then it is a job for the extension to provide this button.

Spelling Check toggle button
:thumbdown: it can be configured from the context menu on text areas where the feature is used. Only reason for the button would be to see the current state of it, but I have it always on.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2015-09-15, 15:37

I think , both sides have valid points.

History (the one that shows your recent views and the ability to clean everything-not open the sidebar) , options , addons buttons are essential for me but as Tobin says you can do it by installing an addon (Custom Buttons, Toolbar buttons , etc.) , although it is not the same thing (why adding extra code/trust the addon author) , thats what I did.
You can't beat ''one click'' users.

Apart from anyones needs , as all the above members said , firefox compat' mode button is a must have.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-09-15, 15:40

Just write an extension to do this.. It would require no maintenance on our part and you can create as many new buttons as you want. It should actually be very easy to accomplish.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2015-09-15, 15:52

Matt A Tobin wrote:Just write an extension to do this.. It would require no maintenance on our part and you can create as many new buttons as you want. It should actually be very easy to accomplish.
Yes, suppose I would , ( dont know coding ) , so I would use it because I trust myself :)
Would you use it , or do you know if back2themoon or Supernova trust me to use it for themselfs?? Thats what I am trying to say..

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2015-09-15, 17:50

superA wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:Just write an extension to do this.. It would require no maintenance on our part and you can create as many new buttons as you want. It should actually be very easy to accomplish.
Yes, suppose I would , ( dont know coding ) , so I would use it because I trust myself :)
Would you use it , or do you know if back2themoon or Supernova trust me to use it for themselfs?? Thats what I am trying to say..
If it works why not :thumbup: but how to get it to work! :think:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-09-19, 12:30

Making a XUL extension for this really is quite easy. All you need for it is look at existing menu entries and what they call, and replicate that with buttons, adding your own icons for each function.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Eleventy_Threeve

Unread post by Eleventy_Threeve » 2015-09-19, 19:50

They already have tons of extensions to do these things. The biggest one that has the most buttons is Toolbar Buttons.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-09-19, 20:58

I agree with all of you.

Like yes there should be somethings added for better or easier functionality, but also why build something that already exist. Well here's my opinion it:

Pale Moon community and the browser itself is evolving, not only that, but "Pale Moon is not Firefox and never will be again." So why shouldn't it's functions it provides; it's missing some common features like a restart button in Pale Moon drop down menu, or what about adding more search engines to the context menu for a more efficient way of browsing. I also use NoSquint just to have a better handle on font sizes, and another one to give the option of what and when to clear my browsing data.

All I'm saying, in my personal opinion and experience, is that their is room for improvements to these common set of features and that little functions or feature request could be added easily.

Though who am I to talk, a barely no any coding/programing (actually I feel like I reached my limit, so I don't bother) skills.

NOTE: I mean no disrespect to anyone, you guys are doing your best to make Pale Moon an efficient browser with options.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

_Poke_

Unread post by _Poke_ » 2015-09-19, 22:18

If you're not opposed to using an extension, you can use this extension to add a LOT of toolbar buttons.
You can also install from this fancy site that lets you choose which buttons to include in the extension, to not make a mess of your customise window.

(I remember having problems with choosing buttons via the other site in the past, but it seems to work now and Pale Moon is even listed as supported! They even encourage users to switch to Pale Moon when Firefox enforces signed extensions!)

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-09-19, 23:01

I've a version of the customized toolbar buttons which I use. I've found the "fancy site" by pure luck.

About the buttons which this extension offers, which, imo, may be worth considering into core :
about:plugins, Animation, Bookmark Manager, Bookmark Menu, Bookmark Page, Clear Data, Extensions, Full Screen, Page Info, Previous Tab, Reload Skip Cache, Reload Tabs, Restart Tabbed, Tab List, Themes, Toggle Cookies, Toggle embedded content, Toggle Images, Toggle JavaScript, Undo Close Tab

I'm not sure about what do all of these and probably not all are worth it, but some are. (Undo close tab is a life saver, waaay quicker than right-clicking for context menu.)

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-09-19, 23:20

Thanks for the tips. Toolbar Buttons (and the fancy site) are impressive, but add a gazillion buttons while only a few will be useful to each user, if the wanted button(s) is available at all. Reminded me of the once popular codec-packs.

As suggested, targeted button creation would be ideal but I wouldn't know where to begin, really. If it's indeed simple enough and somehow takes off, a user-made "Button" section sounds good to me for the Add-ons site.
jumba wrote:My opinions if I would need these buttons: plugin selection button
I'll disagree on that one, the Flash plug-in especially can do with a lot of quick toggling, at least for now that's still alive.

Eleventy_Threeve

Unread post by Eleventy_Threeve » 2015-09-25, 01:41

[quote="back2themoon"]Thanks for the tips. Toolbar Buttons (and the fancy site) are impressive, but add a gazillion buttons while only a few will be useful to each user, if the wanted button(s) is available at all. Reminded me of the once popular codec-packs.

I have that extension and although they provide "A gazillion" buttons none of them get added by default. You pick and choose which ones you want. You could have one or two and leave the rest alone or even "a gazillion" if that is to your liking.

Gary5

Unread post by Gary5 » 2015-09-26, 20:46

I use several buttons from the Toolbar Buttons extension and two that I made with their buttons tool from bookmarklet code. You don't have to install all the buttons even into the Customize palette. There's a page on their website that lets you pick which buttons you want to install.

I also use Custom Buttons to toggle some toolbars and about:config preferences. I found sample buttons and code on their support forum that I modified to do what I wanted.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2015-09-27, 09:54

back2themoon wrote:
jumba wrote:My opinions if I would need these buttons: plugin selection button
I'll disagree on that one, the Flash plug-in especially can do with a lot of quick toggling, at least for now that's still alive.
I have configured it to ask to activate. I don't see any benefit of quickly toggling the plugin globally on/off.
Gary5 wrote:I use several buttons from the Toolbar Buttons extension and two that I made with their buttons tool from bookmarklet code. You don't have to install all the buttons even into the Customize palette. There's a page on their website that lets you pick which buttons you want to install.

I also use Custom Buttons to toggle some toolbars and about:config preferences. I found sample buttons and code on their support forum that I modified to do what I wanted.
I think the core solution for a browser could be something what these addons provide, a button generator to let users to create and share custom buttons easily, instead of adding all possible user wanted toolbar buttons.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2015-09-27, 12:55

Even if set to ask , Flash can still leak information (version number , system fonts) , it is better toggling it when need it in my opinion.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-09-27, 20:23

superA wrote:Even if set to ask , Flash can still leak information (version number , system fonts)
How ?

superA

Unread post by superA » 2015-09-27, 20:57

Don't know but leaks.
Check it out.Set Flash to ask and go to Panopticlick test site, see ''browser plugin details''.Close, delete cache and cookies, disable Flash and check it again.