Better hardware acceleration

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
KNTRO

Better hardware acceleration

Unread post by KNTRO » 2015-09-03, 15:36

I'll get a brand new graphics card any time soon, but in the while I still have an old Nvidia 256MB card.

These are the results for the hardware acceleration stress tests:
  • Best result: SRWare Iron 44, +60 FPS
  • Worst result: Mozilla Firefox 40, 24~26 FPS
Pale Moon 25.7 is midway, with 32~34 FPS.

So, I would like Pale Moon to have better hardware acceleration performance, not now, but whenever the Goanna engine be significantly stable. I think Goanna's enhancements over Gecko's will make it easier to speed hardware acceleration up, won't it?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Better hardware acceleration

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-09-03, 23:49

I'm not entirely sure what you're suggesting. It's such a blanketing request that the only answer can be "we'll work on it whenever a specific point of improvement is found".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2015-11-29, 22:40

KNTRO wrote:I'll get a brand new graphics card any time soon, but in the while I still have an old Nvidia 256MB card.

These are the results for the hardware acceleration stress tests:
  • Best result: SRWare Iron 44, +60 FPS
  • Worst result: Mozilla Firefox 40, 24~26 FPS
Pale Moon 25.7 is midway, with 32~34 FPS.

So, I would like Pale Moon to have better hardware acceleration performance, not now, but whenever the Goanna engine be significantly stable. I think Goanna's enhancements over Gecko's will make it easier to speed hardware acceleration up, won't it?
Srware iron is just plain crap.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-11-30, 01:48

Moonraker, please take a moment to read the forum etiquette about quoting and general type/content of posts. Thanks.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2015-12-04, 10:52

My apologies.
Interesting link here in regard to iron.
http://www.insanitybit.com/2012/06/23/s ... chrome-21/
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2015-12-04, 12:10

Off-topic:
Moonraker wrote: Interesting link here in regard to iron.
Hi Moonraker,

From my POV, it's more a FUD, rabid pro-Chrome campaign than a fair article about Chrome & Iron.

Best regards.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-12-04, 13:01

Actually, I'm familiar with that old, old test ;) It's there to test one particular thing only and says very little about the browser it's run on except for HWA image scaling/rotation.
(a propos, I get 60+ FPS on Pale Moon, so I can't even compare it to anything; cap reached).

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-12-04, 16:50

Off-topic:
Moonraker wrote:My apologies.
Interesting link here in regard to iron.
http://www.insanitybit.com/2012/06/23/s ... chrome-21/
I've mentioned this several times. SRWare Iron's developer does it for the money, but I can agree with some things about Iron, the guy bashing Iron's developer is a Google fanboy that just wants to bash Iron's developer. Apparently, nothing is wrong with Google, at all, to him.
But, this is off-topic and should have been for another discussion.