Change default setting when hovering over links

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Change default setting when hovering over links

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-08-17, 02:15

Just read this article over at ghacks (link below) about Firefox making connections when you hover over a link. The fix is to go to about:config, find network.http.speculative-parallel-limit, and double-click on the preference and change its value from 6 to 0. So I checked this in Pale Moon and was a little surprised to see that Pale Moon has this enabled by default (the value was "6"). I think it would be a good idea for it to be automatically disabled in future versions of Pale Moon.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/16/block-firefox-from-connecting-to-sites-when-you-hover-over-links/

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Change default setting when hovering over links

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-08-17, 03:54

Thanks helloimustbegoing.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-08-17, 09:05

Pale Moon doesn't connect on hover. It will make speculative TCP connections when actually navigating and that is what the pref applies to.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

alex04
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by alex04 » 2015-08-19, 11:05

I still dont understand what does this option do in PM? What do you mean with "when navigating"?

When does PM make connections and to what?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-08-19, 12:16

I'm sorry but I can't give you a full explanation of how the networking back-end works. It's very complex and can't be summarized in a few sentences.
Pale Moon makes connections when navigating: when you actually surf. Not when doing passive page interactions like hovering over a link; that's extremely presumptuous and would cause a lot of unnecessary connections to be made.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

alex04
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by alex04 » 2015-08-19, 13:01

Pale Moon makes connections when navigating
what kind of connections and to what?

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-08-20, 07:08

alex04 wrote:what kind of connections and to what?
*facepalm*
To the website you want to visit.