Suggestion for Pale Moon File Downloading GUI

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Charlie_Delta

Suggestion for Pale Moon File Downloading GUI

Unread post by Charlie_Delta » 2015-07-21, 07:08

After 3 days of using PM 64-bit, I'm getting comfortable. It's faster than Chrome and a LOT less bloaty. One minor issue I'd mention.

As a new user, clicking a download link on a page (example downloading "NTLite" just now from their website, or something from "Major Geeks"), when the download launches the pop-out window shows maximized until the download is underway then minimizes and if you don't know that the little green down arrow in the upper right corner means "download", you'll be wondering where your download is. It's a small thing, but little emotional roadbumps like that might make the difference between adopting the browser as the full-time primary, or skipping the learning curve and living with Chrome.

I think a better behavior would be to keep the popped-out "downloading" window maximized the whole time the file is downloading and after it's finished. I'd bet 99% of people downloading files in this way want them immediately and so they are going to be clicking buttons anyways, why not put a rectangular block out there for them to see exactly where they need to aim the mouse button.

If, after 5 or 10 downloads (which is where I'm at) the User 1) learns where the downloaded files can be accessed and 2) doesn't want the popped-out window popped out, they want it minimize, you can add a little clickie button in the window to change it's default behavior to something like "automatically minimize this window when the download has started", so the intermediate/experienced user can get the benefit of it's current behavior, while the beginning user learns where downloads are accessed.

ashdav

Re: Suggestion for Pale Moon File Downloading GUI

Unread post by ashdav » 2015-07-21, 09:06

Look under Tools/Options/General tab.
Check the box that says Use Classic Download Window.
Download notification will open in a separate small window that will continue even if you close Pale Moon main window.

squarefractal

Re: Suggestion for Pale Moon File Downloading GUI

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-07-21, 09:14

Note that there is an UI indication regarding the initiation of a download, and it's clearly visible. So I don't see any reason to change the behaviour.

You could follow ashdav's suggestion as well, if you want something that's more "visible" than the default.