Bring back keyword.URL

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Bring back keyword.URL

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-07-12, 04:11

I know this has been already answered and that there is an add-on for it, but could you please reconsider and please implement keyword.URL in Pale Moon v26 or at the very least tell me how to do it myself; been doing some research and experiments and failed to get it back in the about:config. This is what made Firefox flexible while searching, so without it, whats the point of the awesome bar!??? I mean really, why have two fucking bars that you can't use to your advantage. I also believe this has been a request asked very much (search results show this or was referred to by others) by users. You know since this is Pale Moon, I think it would be good to bring back useful features that Firefox has killed off on their rampage for power/dominance. Thanks!

Sorry, getting a little agitated because Firefox/Mozilla has ruined many cool and useful features that lots of people depend on. :)
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Bring back keyword.URL

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-07-12, 09:56

I understand your agitation, but please do mind your language.

keyword.URL is no longer a usable preference, since searching from the address bar is linked to whichever search engine you have chosen as active now (in the search bar). This has been the case in Pale Moon 24.0 and later. Firefox (and rebranded rebuilds) also does not support this preference anymore for the same reason since FF23. I see no reason to bring this back because it would cause confusion if the search is no longer linked to the engine chosen (which this change took away).

Why are there 2 bars? Because they are inherently for 2 different things: one is the address bar, another is the search bar. I would actually have preferred it if Mozilla hadn't made searching from the address bar "a thing" to keep this distinction unambiguous -- but this is where we are now. Because many people have gotten used to searching from the address bar, reverting that would not score any points ;)
Just because they are 2 bars doesn't mean that using it "as if they were two different search bars" makes sense from a software point of view. Especially not if one relies on a setting that is not in plain view and wasn't actually designed to be used for searching the web.

The premise behind use of a search engine from Pale Moon is that you have:
  1. A visual indicator of the search engine in use (see: search bar)
  2. One search engine in use at any one time (unification of URL bar, context search and Search bar selection of engine)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Bring back keyword.URL

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-07-12, 18:04

First let me say, I'm sorry for my foul language and I should have kept my temper in check. Thanks for understanding as well MC. :)

And yes I can see where your coming from and how this could bring unintended confusion to those that got used to searching in the address bar. So thanks for the explanation. I just really wish they left this feature alone, really do. Well thats why we have add-ons right. Alright, for anyone who comes across this, please use Keryword Search to bring back the preference keyword.URL (two different search bars to separately search with): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/keyword-search/

And again, thanks MC for your quick explanation and understanding. Keep up the great work bro! :thumbup:
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime