Pale Moon with GStreamer

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Evgeniy

Pale Moon with GStreamer

Unread post by Evgeniy » 2012-05-26, 19:12

Hello, do you plan to include GStreamer in coming releases?

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=422540

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon with GStreamer

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-26, 19:50

The tagging says mobile; so this would be mostly interesting for mobile platforms which I don't build for.

I'm unfamiliar with GStreamer, however - what support does it provide? is it stable on Windows?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Evgeniy

Unread post by Evgeniy » 2012-05-26, 20:55

Sorry, I don't know, I just wanted to support h264.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-27, 22:32

H.264 content is already possible in Pale Moon!

First, grab the WMP plugin and install it according to the instructions found here
Then, grab the WMP HTML5 extender from here:
wmpff.xpi
With both the WMP plugin and the extender add-on installed, you can play HTML5 <video> tags that use H.264 as a codec through the WMP back-end. It's not native in the browser (it uses a bridge to Windows Media Player) but it still plays the media. Note: this probably won't work on anything but Windows 7!

To test, you can have a look at http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/graph ... fault.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Evgeniy

Unread post by Evgeniy » 2012-08-29, 18:23

Up...
Native support h264, mp3, GPU, etc, better than non-native plugin.
Firefox with GStreamer is stable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Firefox
Version 14
Firefox 14 has an optional GStreamer back-end for HTML5 video tag playback. This allows playback of H.264 if the codec is installed as a GStreamer plugin. GStreamer support is not enabled in the official builds, but can be enabled at compile time.

aleks_123

Unread post by aleks_123 » 2012-08-30, 07:51

Evgeniy wrote:Up...
Native support h264, mp3, GPU, etc, better than non-native plugin.
Firefox with GStreamer is stable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Firefox
Version 14
Firefox 14 has an optional GStreamer back-end for HTML5 video tag playback. This allows playback of H.264 if the codec is installed as a GStreamer plugin. GStreamer support is not enabled in the official builds, but can be enabled at compile time.
+1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-30, 08:08

"+1" all you like, but until I have some data that this will actually be beneficial for desktop installations (and not mobile), I'm not including it - it would be redundant code.

The code seems to also just be a wrapper for a plugin (as stated above you need to have the codec installed as a GStreamer plugin) which still doesn't make it native, unlike Theora and WebM