Make the preferences dialog non-modal on Windows

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Make the preferences dialog non-modal on Windows

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-05-25, 18:50

megaman wrote:Yes, it is annoying when you open the prompt and you encounter something that requires your attention on a website during that phase.
I don't see this being a realistic common scenario for the Options window.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2015-05-25, 18:53

Moonchild wrote:I don't see this being a realistic common scenario for the Options window.
Right, that's what I stated in the "No."

Jazoray

Unread post by Jazoray » 2015-05-25, 19:05

As both sides of the issue have pointed out already, the decision to have modal dialogs in all preferences windows was made a long time ago during the dark ages.

i'm just curious, what was the reasoning back then? Does anyone remember?

i need this information for adjusting my time machine accordingly. ;)

Sob__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Sob__ » 2015-05-25, 19:22

When I started with Windows 3.11, it was already like this. And it definitely did not occur to me back then that I'd like to have an extra window open if not necessary. The less windows, the better. I guess it had something to do with 4MB RAM and 800x600 resolution (yes, I started with PC a little late). :)

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2015-05-25, 19:46

There are two bits of Options that can stay open while browsing normally, the Cookies window and the Passwords window. I can see some occasions where either of these could be of use. Personally I can see no reason to need to access any other bit while browsing.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-05-26, 12:16

Indeed sIDcORK ; I remember when I had to go on the password manager, type master password to see what was the damn password I saved for a site ; and then soon after having to redo the same for another. More the exception though.
Never encountered the cookie issue since a good cookie-manager add-on permits to manage it when I want.

Jazoray

Unread post by Jazoray » 2015-06-10, 15:17

I would like to take this time to sincerely apologize for the rude and agressive behavior i displayed in this thread. Although this thread is way past its expiry, i still feel the need to make this right publicly.
While i do feel as strongly about the issue as i expressed, my lashing out was uncalled for and there was no justification for getting my emotions involved in the debate.
I am well aware that there is no way i can force you to change your software and i never had that expectation. sorry if any expression i made made it seem otherwise.

I am looking forward to further discussions in the future(certainly about other topics) and vow to contribute more constructively.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-06-10, 16:05

We have all been there Jazoray.. Don't worry about it and thanks! :)