Bookmarks Library: add bookmark full Library path

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Bookmarks Library: add bookmark full Library path

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-04-06, 23:32

Example: press Organize Bookmarks and do a 'music' keyword search for example. Let's say we have 20 results. Assuming I have a complex (or not so complex) bookmark folder structure, there's no way of knowing where those bookmarks are located, so it's tough to organize anything.

Possible improvement 1: add a 'Path' column (along Tags, Location, Visit Date) to fully reveal let's say, the Music/Ethnic/China folder
Possible improvement 2: add a right-click entry for Library bookmarks/search results: 'Open/Go to Path' (and the left column will reveal the exact location).

(It's quite possible I'm missing sth. simple here ;) )

astewart
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Bookmarks Library: add bookmark full Library path

Unread post by astewart » 2015-04-07, 06:12

back2themoon wrote: Possible improvement 1: add a 'Path' column (along Tags, Location, Visit Date) to fully reveal let's say, the Music/Ethnic/China folder
Show Parent Folder does this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/show-parent-folder/?src=ss

Alan

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2015-04-07, 08:55

Thanks a lot astewart, exactly what I was looking for (and the companion Go Parent Folder). Looks like it's a very old (and ignored) Bugzilla request. Strange - this seems like a sensible 'feature' to include in the browser.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-08, 09:37

I'll make this an enhancement request on GitHub. "Go Parent Folder" I think may be best left as an extension (depending on complexity), but adding the column to the core as an option shouldn't be too difficult.

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... /issues/43

If anyone wants to have a crack at analyzing the extensions and pulling out the relevant code, or (I can hope) actually weaving this into the source and sending a pull request, that would be great. I'm kind of backed up with other things to do that are more critical than this enhancement.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

MasterOfNone

Unread post by MasterOfNone » 2015-10-31, 06:25

I've used Go Parent Folder and Show Parent Folder for quite some time. I like them both…but they don't provide the full path. If you have a bookmarks tree, as I do, you still can't find exactly where you put the bookmark listing unless you go to the web page and use Bookmark Current Page, right-click the top 'down arrow' and keep pulling downward until you find the bookmark; noting the Parent and Children Folders on the way.
I've yet to learn the language to build extensions, but it would be great if someone would do one called Show Full Path to Parent Folder or just Show Full Path.
:idea: Another trick I'm beginning to use is to change the last 'Parent' Folder icon to match the first Folder shown in the Bookmarks Toolbar. Then, if you are at that web page and you wish to check if you've already Bookmarked it, you'll see where to begin looking.
Doing a Bookmark search is where the Show Full Path will be most useful.
:wave:

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2015-11-01, 23:32

I have just tested the Show Parent Folder and Go Parent Folder extensions, and I like them a lot, but I did run into some small issues with Go Parent Folder:
  1. The "Go Parent Folder" context menu item is also displayed when the main Library pane is in "folder content mode", but there's no use for it then. I think the context menu item should only be displayed when the main pane is in "search results mode".
  2. If a search (with the Library Search bar) brings up a bookmark that is located in the current folder, the "Go Parent Folder" feature doesn't work for that bookmark.
If Go Parent Folder is going to be integrated into Pale Moon, I hope these issues can be fixed.
MasterOfNone wrote:I've used Go Parent Folder and Show Parent Folder for quite some time. I like them both…but they don't provide the full path.
Show Parent Folder will display the full path if you check the "Show folder hierarchy" option.
Show Parent Folder options.png
Show Parent Folder options.png (10.62 KiB) Viewed 1758 times

MasterOfNone

Unread post by MasterOfNone » 2015-11-02, 06:22

Thanks Antonius32
MasterOfNone wrote:I've used Go Parent Folder and Show Parent Folder for quite some time. I like them both…but they don't provide the full path.
Antonius32 wrote: Show Parent Folder will display the full path if you check the "Show folder hierarchy" option.
Show Parent Folder options.png
I double checked because I often don't bother with options being busy with other things.
"Show folder hierarchy" is checked, and no full path. But Wait! There's more. :)
I also like to use just icons w/o text to save space. I searched for turnouts and got only Parent "Walthers".
:idea: I took a chance and added text to my Trains folder …… Lo and Behold! the Full Path showed up!

Now :think: , I guess my request needs to be changed to ask for the Full Path whether text is used or not.

Thanks again :thumbup: :wave:
PS: I wish Twitter had this level of editing capability. ;)