Make Ciphersuite and TLS Protocol visible

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Make Ciphersuite and TLS Protocol visible

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-16, 07:33

dark_moon wrote:have we the same info in the window when we press the padlock ?
Yes, because it calls up the page info window on the security category, which is what you see here.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Scrounger

Unread post by Scrounger » 2015-04-17, 07:14

Wow... This is perfect! Thanks a lot! it's great work and I really appreciate it. Wish there was a magical, context-sensitive "complain to site administrator (about terrible security)" button right along with it, but alas...

And I agree that the raw cipher suite is too ugly to show in that window, wonder why Fx does it? For the sake of Cipherfox, though, could you make the back-end pass the cipher suite info to the front end anyway, in a way so that Cipherfox or similar add-ons can snatch it up?

regards

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-04-17, 09:04

Scrounger wrote: And I agree that the raw cipher suite is too ugly to show in that window, wonder why Fx does it? For the sake of Cipherfox, though, could you make the back-end pass the cipher suite info to the front end anyway, in a way so that Cipherfox or similar add-ons can snatch it up?
I would actually prefer if Pale Moon would parse the "ugly" string, e.g:

(TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256, 128-bit keys, TLS 1.2) -> "The connection uses TLS 1.2 and is encrypted with AES_128_GCM with SHA256 for message authentication and ECDHE_ECDSA being the key exchange mechanism."

Scrounger

Unread post by Scrounger » 2015-05-14, 13:44

Coming back after installing the new 25.4 (right now 25.4.1) I just want to mention here, that this is an admirable release and it puts PM above and beyond anyone else, making it kind of sad, that this does not have the market share that IE6 had in its heyday.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-05-14, 15:44

Scrounger wrote:could you make the back-end pass the cipher suite info to the front end anyway, in a way so that Cipherfox or similar add-ons can snatch it up?
This has actually been done. the full cipher suite is made available through the nsISSLStatus interface now, and can be grabbed by way of cipherSuite.
So Cipherfox, if it wants, can add support for Pale Moon by using cipherSuite to display various and sundry additional information.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Scrounger

Unread post by Scrounger » 2015-05-15, 08:39

Hey Moonchild,

You're absolutely right and I have been fiddling with the add-on myself a little bit. You can easily make it compatible with Pale Moon now by requesting cipherSuite from that interface. It just needs one line of code changed, so I have reached out to the developer now.

Works perfect, kudos for this awesome release.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-05-15, 13:19

Do me a favor and tell him he can do a conditional based on our application name which should be retrievable from Services.jsm so it can be both MozCo and Pale Moon compatibility.

gavinhungry

Unread post by gavinhungry » 2015-08-26, 07:30

Moonchild wrote:This has actually been done. the full cipher suite is made available through the nsISSLStatus interface now, and can be grabbed by way of cipherSuite.
So Cipherfox, if it wants, can add support for Pale Moon by using cipherSuite to display various and sundry additional information.
CipherFox developer here.

Sorry for my delay on this, but Pale Moon support has now been added to CipherFox:
https://github.com/gavinhungry/cipherfo ... 5d2383d8ed
https://github.com/gavinhungry/cipherfo ... 1f919a4ebe

I've submitted version 3.11.0 to AMO with these changes (pending review). If you'd rather not wait you can grab it from here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/down ... 1.0-fx.xpi

With the soon-deprecation of XUL in Firefox, Pale Moon is now the main supported target application for CipherFox, at least in it's current form. If CipherFox can ever be made available on post-XUL versions of Firefox, I will likely maintain both.
Last edited by gavinhungry on 2015-08-26, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-08-26, 07:39

Awesome news! Thanks for your work and support, Gavin!

EDIT: Just tested it, and $PROTOCOL and $CIPHERSUITE work perfectly in Pale Moon, by the looks of it :)

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-08-26, 07:41

Welcome to the forum, gavinhungry/ CipherFox dev!

Thanks for your support!

Scrounger

Unread post by Scrounger » 2015-08-26, 08:15

Awesome news, Gavin, glad you got around to it.

Thank you for your decision to support Pale Moon which, more than anything on the web right now, deserves it.

This encourages me to reach out to other add-on developers. If your 10+ years experience with Fx didn't stop you from making a switch to this project then I am confident that other add-on developers can be persuaded to concentrate on PM as well.
Fx is dying with their decisions so it is right about time to establish PM as the new alternative, the beast of its time that will overcome Mammon.

win7-7
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by win7-7 » 2015-08-26, 08:24

Thanks for supporting Pale Moon. More add-on developers will probably abandon Firefox. deprecating XUL will be fatal mistake to Mozilla. Pale Moon will indeed benefit.

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-08-26, 09:05

gavinhungry wrote:So, Pale Moon is now the main supported target application for CipherFox.
Welcome :wave: Maybe time to rename it to CipherMoon :lol:

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2015-08-26, 11:40

Thank you for supporting Pale Moon!

Any addon developer who makes an addon not only compatible with Pale moon, but also for it, deserves our thanks.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-08-26, 13:04

Gavin.. Please get at me via the forum PM ;)

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2015-08-26, 13:56

Thank you for your support Gavin! Works great here on Linux! :thumbup: