More about pinned tabs

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Octopuss

More about pinned tabs

Unread post by Octopuss » 2015-02-15, 08:48

I guess this is kind of by design, but when you have a pinned tab active and try to open a bookmark, it opens in new tab instead. But when I type address directly into the address bar, it opens in the pinned tab without problems. Could the former be changed? I use pinned tabs for pages I want open all the time (for given session at least), but it's not always the same ones.
I'm not sure if the post makes sense, hopefully someone will understand what I mean.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: More about pinned tabs

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-15, 12:33

Typing will as default "switch to tab" if the tab is already open. That is not "opening an address", and a pinned tab (by design) is "always open" so it will switch to that tab.
Bookmarks always "open an address" by design, and will open a new tab - that is not behavior I want to change, sorry.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-02-15, 16:12

Moonchild wrote:Typing will as default "switch to tab" if the tab is already open.
Hijacking a bit the thread, but is there a config to switch to change this ? I .hate. this behavior.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2015-02-15, 18:56

Moonchild wrote:Typing will as default "switch to tab" if the tab is already open. That is not "opening an address", and a pinned tab (by design) is "always open" so it will switch to that tab.
Bookmarks always "open an address" by design, and will open a new tab - that is not behavior I want to change, sorry.
You don't understand.
If I have a pinned tab active and go to bookmarks and click on anything, it will open in new tab rather than the pinned one. If that's working as intended, I would very much appreciate an option to change it.
If I have pinned tab active and type address of something completely different in the address bar and press enter, it will open in the pinned tab.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-02-15, 19:31

The entire concept of a Pinned Tab (App Tab) is that they are somewhat protected and designed to be used persistently.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-15, 19:52

Off-topic:
Supernova wrote:
Moonchild wrote:Typing will as default "switch to tab" if the tab is already open.
Hijacking a bit the thread, but is there a config to switch to change this ? I .hate. this behavior.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... b-no-more/

EDIT: possibly you can also prevent it with http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.urlba ... t.behavior and e.g. setting it to "24" instead of "0" to match title and url in bookmarks, history and typed.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite