Improvements for language pack management

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
jumba

Improvements for language pack management

Unread post by jumba » 2015-02-14, 06:51

Auto change the general.useragent.locale on language pack installation/activation? Language packs should work the same way as themes, only one can be activated at a time. And when switching to another language pack prompt for restart.
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 20&p=40110

Auto-updating of language packs? (same way as normal addons?)
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 346&p=7543

Thanks to Tobin language packs are now updated automatically! :thumbup:

Integrate language installation/selection to the browser or installer? Choosing the program locale during the installation would be the best, but it should be possible also within the program.

Some examples of addons for FX to improve language management:
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/langua ... tall-helpe
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/language-manager
Last edited by jumba on 2015-08-02, 18:33, edited 3 times in total.

dark_moon

Re: Improvements for language pack management

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-02-14, 12:07

Yes this is a nice idea and it looks the other threads are forgotten.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-02-14, 12:30

That's more or less in the PM roadmap already from what I understood, at least for the two first parts of the suggestions. Not high priority however.
Would be a good help to spread PM.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-14, 13:51

It's on the roadmap, but first priority is to find a way to actually have a proper localization system for translators to work in.

We're looking into the first two issues closely.
Providing 90 different installers for individual languages is, however, not on the roadmap. I do have some ideas of improving the web installer for non-English locales, performing some automatic installations and settings, but I'm really busy with core stuff at the moment for 25.3 (I'm excited about the progress there, actually) so the language pack installation convenience is, unfortunately, lower priority.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-02-14, 14:02

Just a idea and work only with the installer builds:
After install check the system language and ask if the language should be downloading.

So we translaters just give you the translation file, so you can put it on the ftp server and then the installer can download it and config the general.useragent.locale setting.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-02-15, 15:34

I have been thinking of an add-on to least automate locale switching and such. But I too am busy.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-08-02, 18:07

May this happen for Pale Moon 26 ?
This is a feature which helps to spread the browser to non-technical users, is just good-looking on the releases notes ; and I understood that the localization system issue mentionned for postponing this suggestion will be completely solved as the time of PM26 which will need translators to complete languages packs.
Last edited by Supernova on 2015-08-02, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-08-02, 20:17

Hi Tobin, I don't need to change my own browser locale regularly, neither the UA locale. That's kind of you to suggest this, but this isn't the use case I refer to, which is first installation for non-english speaker. (First suggestion of jumba's OP ; the second having been done since then, that's a good start)

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2015-08-15, 20:04

Auto change the general.useragent.locale on language pack installation/activation?
Can we workaround this by setting the intl.locale.matchOS to true by default?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Intl.locale.matchOS
bug #331779