Developers tools: network tab

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Koshmaar

Developers tools: network tab

Unread post by Koshmaar » 2015-02-07, 22:43

Hello, would it be possible to have in the tool visible under network tab in dev tools (shift+F5), which displayes list of request/response, to have this list right clickable and "copy URL address" available (and also "open in new tab")?

I see Firefox has this feature already: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ntext_menu

So perhaps it's a matter of porting their code :thumbup:

Would be great to have this, because currently there's no way to see the whole URL, and (obviously) copy it - which is a bread and butter of every webdeveloper :coffee:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Developers tools: network tab

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-07, 23:33

The web developer tools in Pale Moon are there to provide basics, and are not actively developed or have any plans to be expanded.
As an aside: what Mozilla has done is copy more features from Firebug to provide them in the browser itself (the context menu list of options in the network tab is almost literally that of Firebug).
Pale Moon doesn't aim to be a dedicated web developer tool. If you need more features that what is offered in the core, I suggest you install Firebug (version 1.12.8 works extremely well in Pale Moon 25) or use the dedicated Firefox "Developer edition" that Mozilla is marketing.

If there is a specific reason why these alternatives won't work for you, I'd love to hear it - in that case, if you want the code ported, it'd help greatly if you can provide the relevant bugzilla bug number for this change.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Koshmaar

Unread post by Koshmaar » 2015-02-08, 13:22

Ok, thank you for clarification about the dev tools in PaleMoon roadmap. I thought that PM is directed at power-users, which tend to be more intimate with web pages, sometimes debugging things not related to webmastering (ie. flash game makes requests) or even directly doing webmastering :coffee: and so having good dev tools would be nice thing for such a crowd.

As for alternatives: I have Firebug, but even on my high-end CPU and SSD with lots of RAM, loading it takes 5-7 seconds (it's a beast), compared to immediate loading of the builtin dev tools... which for 95% of my work are enough, so I'd prefer to work with them.

Loading specific browsers for doing web work is not as comfortable as doing everything in one, tightly customized and loaded with addons :) I admit those are not reasons why alternatives won't work for me... they will, but they're suboptimal - that's just my $0.02 and the reason why I decided to file a feature request.

I searched on bugzilla and found only feature requests related to that, but not any actual resolution:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=917089
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1031956
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=859052
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1110806

Perhaps one of those will be useful in some way (the change is already in FF). Other than that, even if written from scratch I think the change should be simple - the URL is already displayed, just show a right click menu and copy the URL - that's it.

Please keep up the good work!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-02-08, 15:50

What you have to understand is that the devtools in Firefox have been completely rewritten since they were the same as the ones included in Pale Moon. While pieces of implementation from Firefox could be useful it isn't like ANY patch will likely apply cleanly.

Pale Moon is not specifically aimed at Power Users or Developers or those with out any computer experience or any specific audience except those who will find it useful and want in the broadest since to have a web browser that also has the capability of being extended and customized to the particular needs of the user not some halfas....working swiss army knife.

Also re: Firebug, it IS terribly slow isn't it. But rest assured it is not any better on anything else.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-08, 16:22

I don't notice the slowness of Firebug on my setup where I do have it installed -- so I'm not sure what would cause the slowdown.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite