Findbar enhancements

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Supernova

Findbar enhancements

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-02-02, 22:06

Hi all,

So : -I know that Finderbar Tweaks exists. I even use it, and honestly see hardly how I could use conviently the findbar without it now
-There is a great margin between such extensive additions, and a handful of very useful enhancements.

Is the suggested feature specific to your workflow?
No
Is the suggested feature culturally neutral?
Yes
How "advanced use" is the suggested feature?
Anyone using the findbar. More useful for less advanced users (those which want something that "just works") which are less likely to ever find FinderbarTweak.
Are there multiple existing solutions to what the suggestion addresses?
An add-on exists. It adds much more than the few enhancements suggested here, e.g. find in all tabs, various cosmetic/detail tweaks, sights, and a few other things.
Does the suggestion improve overall quality of the browser?
Shoud either be indifferent or better for any user. So yes.
Does the suggestion hinder the download and display of any content?
Not in any way

Suggested features : -hit counter : how many occurences on the page and at which we are.
-toggling find bar with ctrl+F : if you ever hit ctrl+F by error, change your mind or simply just have done your search, you need to go to the close button to close the findbar. Not _every_ user may want this change, however there may always be a config control for this, and I just feel it would please most. If not, don't consider it.
-higlight option. Higlighting all found terms (delaying highlight so it isn't calculated again and again when one type, and also maybe avoiding highlight with 1 or 2 characters only)

Btw, this may not be priority at this point, which is quite understandable, but it would be interesting to know if it may show in future or not.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Findbar enhancements

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-03, 02:25

Thanks for the suggestions.

Considering "Highlight all" is a core function of the normal find bar without extensions, which already does a semi-synchronous matching (with a delay for performance reasons), that suggestion is N/A.

Closing the Find bar is done with [Esc]. It's not exactly a panel or a sidebar, so making Ctrl+F a toggle is a little odd, and also goes against established practices, so I'm quite reluctant to consider this. It's normal to clear/cancel a search with [Esc]; this is done in all the intant-action search boxes (find in page, history/bookmarks filters, etc) in the browser.

So, that leaves an occurrence counter? ... Not really something that less advanced users would be interested in; they would use Find to Find something, not to get statistics. Considering this is more advanced, and would be a performance-impacting addition, having an extension for it is a good solution.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Supernova

Re: Findbar enhancements

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-02-03, 18:21

Mmm, sorry I missed higlight all. I was between disabling and enabling toolbar tweaks before starting the topic ; and started my post one day to post it the next one, so I think I have confused things a bit.
While about higlight things, the addons have a "highlight grid in scrollbar" thing. Didn't suggest it at first, but thinking at it again, that may be not too exotic for core.

About the occurence counter is not just a, e.g. "8 hits", but it indicates at which of these hits you are on the page. e.g. ; "2 of 4 hits" if the selected hit it's the second of the 4 which are on the page. It allows to review quicker occurences and reduce chances to miss one.