Context Menu Item to Open Hyperlinks

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
squarefractal

Re: Context Menu Item to Open Hyperlinks

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-02-08, 01:54

I would also like to see the "Open" item in the context menu for hyperlinks. But if that can't/won't be done, I would suggest keeping the bookmarks context menu the way it was. Removing UI elements just for "UI consistency" reeks of Mozilla, you know.

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2015-02-11, 03:47

I was reminded today of another reason to have the option to open a link in the current window, though it muddles the idea of "default action" a bit.

Many sites have links that open in a new window/tab by default (by using target="_blank"). In some cases, one might wish to open the link in the current window, even if the page author was targeting a new window instead. A context menu option is perfect for that.

You can also do this by click-and-dragging the link into the address bar, but that's a more complicated operation.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-11, 12:07

squarefractal wrote:Removing UI elements just for "UI consistency" reeks of Mozilla, you know.
Not everything Mozilla does is bad. And you're talking about a whole different class of "UI Consistency here" (in-app consistency versus cross-platform unification).
Mercury wrote:Many sites have links that open in a new window/tab by default (by using target="_blank"). In some cases, one might wish to open the link in the current window, even if the page author was targeting a new window instead. A context menu option is perfect for that.
It's an interesting notion, but not really related to this issue. "Open in current tab" could be an additional (new) feature to be added that completely ignores the target - although I'm not sure if it belongs in the browser core, if so. There's no real way for a user to know the target is different (apart from "from memory") meaning "when to use this feature" -- and it should certainly not be the default action.
Changed my mind, since it works in context to just make the Open Link the Current Tab.

Back on-topic: I can see both sides of the argument here, which is largely logic versus habit.
if you guys feel so strongly about having the default action also being in the context menu, then I'll reverse it and see about making it consistent the other way, even if it makes very little sense to me.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-11, 12:24

There.

UI consistent, choice added, OK even if you change your mind mid-click ;)
OpenLinkadded.png
OpenLinkadded.png (8.84 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2015-02-11, 12:27

Maybe you should name it Open Link in This/Current/Active Tab, just to make it perfectly clear. ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-11, 13:15

SvenG wrote:Maybe you should name it Open Link in This/Current/Active Tab, just to make it perfectly clear. ;)
Translate x90 ;-)
Unfortunately I'm still lacking a proper setup to do localization right now. Which is a PITA because people offering this are very expensive, and the open source alternatives (like the 1 or 2 in existence) won't run on any of my VPSes because I use CentOS.

Behavior will be for the current tab, even if e.g. a _blank target is specified.

EDIT: I'll change it in English anyway - other languages will just have to "know" until a full QA run can be done on the language packs.

EDIT2: hate to disappoint people who would love to see it at the top, but to not break current workflows I will move the option down in the menu. It'll still be there, but not default (since it's a different function than left-clicking) nor at the top. You will still have the hotkey/shortcut for it, though (O).

EDIT3:
OpenLinkadded2.png
OpenLinkadded2.png (11.54 KiB) Viewed 1191 times

squarefractal

Unread post by squarefractal » 2015-02-11, 13:48

Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote:the open source alternatives (like the 1 or 2 in existence) won't run on any of my VPSes because I use CentOS
Would you mention which tool you're using? I will try making a build for you if there aren't any packages or precompiled binaries already available on the internet.
(Assuming that they are not just developed for Windows only.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-11, 13:55

Off-topic:
squarefractal wrote:
Moonchild wrote:the open source alternatives (like the 1 or 2 in existence) won't run on any of my VPSes because I use CentOS
Would you mention which tool you're using? I will try making a build for you if there aren't any packages or precompiled binaries already available on the internet.
(Assuming that they are not just developed for Windows only.)
Currently I'm not using any tool since I'm still trying to find a way to do localization properly.
I was hoping to be able to use Pootle since it has native support for Mozilla localization formats, and has a client tool as well (Virtaal) that people could use. but, I've been unable to get it to run on my VPSes. Getting a dedicated instance just for l10n is currently not within my budget.

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2015-02-11, 14:55

Moonchild wrote: There.
UI consistent, choice added, OK even if you change your mind mid-click ;)
Zacly! :thumbup:
Moonchild wrote: EDIT2: hate to disappoint people who would love to see it at the top, but to not break current workflows I will move the option down in the menu. It'll still be there, but not default (since it's a different function than left-clicking) nor at the top. You will still have the hotkey/shortcut for it, though (O).
No problema. It's all about CHOICE :thumbup: :thumbup: