Disable text in title bar?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
kduncan5

Disable text in title bar?

Unread post by kduncan5 » 2014-12-12, 14:11

Decided to try Pale Moon as a Firefox replacement, so far I'm liking it, with one exception:

Found the thread where it was explained how to disable the text in the title bar, created the Chrome folder as instructed, attempted to enter that text via notepad, Windows 7 would not allow the characters necessary to save that text in the newly created Chrome folder.

My suggestion would have to be an option to disable this text in the title bar via the options menu as opposed to us having to write code in order to disable it. Don't want it, don't need it.

Thank you for an outstanding browser, quicker the Firefox, completely configurable with the above exception. Keep up the speed!

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Disable text in title bar?

Unread post by CraigPD » 2014-12-12, 17:28

Odd problem in Win7. Try to copy / paste the following directly into your userChrome.css file.

Code: Select all

/* This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
 * License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
 * file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/. */

/*
 * Edit this file and copy it as userChrome.css into your
 * profile-directory/chrome/
 */

/*
 * This file can be used to customize the look of Mozilla's user interface
 * You should consider using !important on rules which you want to
 * override default settings.
 */

/*
 * Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct functioning
 */
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL */

/* remove the title bar title in PM 24.3>+ */
#main-window::after {
opacity: 0 !important;
}

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2014-12-12, 18:25

A more effective solution would be:

Code: Select all

#main-window:after {
  display:none !important;
}
The CSS you posted will simply make the title transparent; this should hide it completely.

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2014-12-12, 19:09

display:none = opacity: 0
More effective? The same result. In our fearless pooh-bah I trust.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-12-12, 19:42

CraigPD wrote:display:none = opacity: 0
More effective? The same result. In our fearless pooh-bah I trust.
display:none != opacity:0

While changing the opacity to zero would make it invisible it would STILL be there while display:none would would prevent it from being rendered at all.

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-12-12, 20:26

The reason it's called a title bar is because it displays the window title, i.e. text. It's been that way since Windows started. Please don't take all the standard Windows functions away to supposedly "simplify" the user interface. I don't need to turn my browser into a snow globe.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-12-12, 20:39

mikeysc wrote:The reason it's called a title bar is because it displays the window title, i.e. text. It's been that way since Windows started. Please don't take all the standard Windows functions away to supposedly "simplify" the user interface. I don't need to turn my browser into a snow globe.
No one was suggesting that.

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-12-12, 20:50

In my opinion, yes they were. Same thing happened in FF, first they made some long-time standard things optional, then they later took away the options. I got tired of that and that's why I gave up on FF. Hope that makes my viewpoint a little clearer.

kduncan5

Unread post by kduncan5 » 2014-12-12, 23:08

mikeysc, nobody's asking you to slice & dice your browser. If you like it the way it is then keep it that way. All I'm asking for is an option to disable the title from appearing beside the Pale Moon button. If the developers could see fit to consider adding that option at some point in the future, it would give those of us who want it gone the ability to do so. Everyone else can just leave theirs like it is.

Apparently, I'm not adept enough to copy code into its proper location and have it accepted by Windows 7, so I'll just have to wait.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2014-12-12, 23:49

Remember: If you enable the menu bar, it shows the "actual" titlebar. The one Pale Moon uses when tabs are on top is one it draws itself. Also remember that this very self-drawn titlebar didn't actually have a title on it for the longest time (introduced in PM 24.x by default, though existed as a userstyle for Firefox/PM since Firefox 4). All the OP wanted was to remove that title. Some people like it, some don't; the standard one is always there if you want it anyway.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-12-13, 02:28

Following the clear instructions given in the FAQ section of this forum will remove the title bar text from the browser.
Please follow the instructions exactly if this is what you want.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3766

I understand that it would be "easier" to switch on and off if there was a built-in option to do so, but in that case I would also have to build in options for the other manipulations you can do to the title: font, color, size, alignment, etc. -- in addition to the consideration that users, in general, either like it one way or another, and do not need to switch this option on or off with any regularity.
Another point is that this is a design choice, one to return to the normal state of windows and what they display in their designated areas, despite what Mozilla has done with their decision to "skin" Firefox since v4 with the AppMenu button. If you want to tweak the user interface to this level outside of its design parameters, then using the chrome override is what you need to do. I myself use an override as well since I prefer my title of the browser centered, even in Win 7. The procedure is easy, and anyone with access to notepad can do it. A bonus is also that it introduces the users to the power of this kind of chrome override file using simple CSS, allowing you to tweak the user interface in a lot more detail than I could ever build into the browser options.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

kduncan5

Unread post by kduncan5 » 2014-12-14, 23:33

Followed the instructions exactly, created the Chrome folder, opened Notepad, created userChrome.css notepad document, copied/pasted @namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gateke ... s.only.xul"); inside the userChrome.css notepad document, then underneath copied/pasted

#main-window::after {
opacity: 0 !important;
}

Didn't work. Even tried to eliminate spaces in the code, still didn't work. As I said in my original post, apparently I'm not adept enough at writing code to accomplish this so I'll just deal with it.