Option to keep a user defined list of cookies

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Debrief

Option to keep a user defined list of cookies

Unread post by Debrief » 2014-12-06, 14:53

Hello,

This is about the way the history / cookies are managed. This can be find in the Options panel here:

Pale Moon options / Privacy / History / Use custom settings for history / Accept cookies from site / Keep until

This option is very convenient to clean all invading cookies regularly, i.e. each time the browser is closed.
However, there are some cookies one would like to keep. A user defined list of cookies to keep (not to delete) at history clean up time would be really nice.

Thanks
Debrief

martywd

Re: Option to keep a user defined list of cookies

Unread post by martywd » 2014-12-07, 03:19

Debreif wrote:This option is very convenient to clean all invading cookies regularly, i.e. each time the browser is closed.
However, there are some cookies one would like to keep. A user defined list of cookies to keep (not to delete) at history clean up time would be really nice.
Rather than using the 'Use custom settings for history' setting, consider the 'CookieCuller' extension... ==> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/cookieculler/ instead.

Install the 'CookieCuller' extension. Use 'Customize' to click and drag the 'CookieCuller' icon to the toolbar. Click the 'CookieCuller' icon and 'Protect' the cookies you want to keep. Once done, open the 'Addons' page, click CookieCuller's 'Preferences', tick 'Delete Unprotected Cookies on Startup', then click OK. Restart PM. Only the cookies you 'Protected' will survive.

As new cookies arrive that you want to keep, click on the 'CookieCuller' icon, select the cookie(s) you want to 'Protect'. Rinse, repeat, as needed.

Pros: works just as your quote shown above^^^

Cons: No development since 2009. No 'Import/Export' functionality (the 'CookieKeeper' extension which greatly enhances the functionality found in 'CookieCuller' has 'Import/Export' but DOES NOT WORK with PM 25.x.x. This bug has been submitted, but alas, at this time no response has been heard from it's developer.)

Debrief

Unread post by Debrief » 2014-12-07, 06:54

Thank a lot for this suggestion.
I did install "CookieCuller 1.4" and, looking to add-ons extension list, I clicked on the "Options" button of "CookieCuller". At this level the only option shown is "Delete Unprotected Cookies on Startup", nothing there to protect cookies.
It took me few minutes to understand that I needed to customize the Pale Moon URL/icons bar, add the "CookieCuller" icon and then click on it to have the possibility to protect cookies.
Best regards
Debrief

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-12-07, 14:37

Welcome to the forum, Debrief!

@martywd: I found in the second post in your addon a updated addon version which are called cookiekeeper
@TO: Maybe this addon is then nice for you.

Edit: read this:
helloimustbegoing wrote:Someone has opened a bug report on Cookie Keeper's bug page here about it not working on Pale Moon, so maybe the developer will fix it.

In the meantime, have you tried an old version of Cookie Keeper? (Old versions page link.)

Debrief

Unread post by Debrief » 2014-12-07, 17:18

Thank you guys for your help
Debrief

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2014-12-07, 19:10

Self-Destructing Cookies may do just what you're looking for and is well-maintained. You can set it to delete unwanted cookies within seconds of closing the webpage, or alternatively when closing Pale Moon.

Another alternative is not to accept unwanted cookies to begin with. Just leave "Accept cookies from sites" unchecked in the privacy history options window. Then add the cookies you want to keep to the exceptions list using the nearby "Exceptions" button. You can maintain this exceptions list manually. Or, more conveniently, use "Self-Destructing Cookies" or Cookie Whitelist with Buttons version-2.2.1.

martywd

Unread post by martywd » 2014-12-07, 19:58

dark_moon wrote:Edit: read this:
helloimustbegoing wrote:Someone has opened a bug report on Cookie Keeper's bug page here about it not working on Pale Moon, so maybe the developer will fix it.

In the meantime, have you tried an old version of Cookie Keeper? (Old versions page link.)
I hadn't tried installing either of the earlier 'CookieKeeper' releases, I guess because of the massive amount of changes listed between the first release and on...

But I just tried. Not for the faint of heart, I might add, espeically if one elects to 'Migrate' from 'CookieCuller'! For anyone who might try this, BE SURE to do a backup of your 'cookies.sqlite' file at the very least if you elect to try! What I found was...

Neither of the earlier releases work for Pale Moon 25.x.x either. First of all, none of the 'CookieKeeper' releases install the essential 'CookieKeeper' icon in Pale Moon's 'Toolbar'. The 'CookieKeeper' icon is essential to the functionality of 'CookieKeeper'. Without the 'CookieKeeper' icon you are nowhere. Secondly, while both the early releases of 'CookieKeeper's' 'Preferences' button in the 'Addons' window will open the 'Preferences' popup window without error, much/most of the expected functionality in 'Preferences' is missing as well.

'CookieKeeper' is just not an option at this point for Pale Moon 25.x.x.

riiis wrote:Self-Destructing Cookies may do just what you're looking for and is well-maintained. You can set it to delete unwanted cookies within seconds of closing the webpage, or alternatively when closing Pale Moon.
Yes, tried 'Self-Destructing Cookies' on a couple of machines with Pale Moon. The 'automatic' function immediately offends and I uninstalled. But I may have to take another look?
Another alternative is not to accept unwanted cookies to begin with. Just leave "Accept cookies from sites" unchecked in the privacy history options window. Then add the cookies you want to keep to the exceptions list using the nearby "Exceptions" button. You can maintain this exceptions list manually.
This must be part of 'Self-Destructing Cookies'' functionality, right?
Or, more conveniently, use "Self-Destructing Cookies" or Cookie Whitelist with Buttons version-2.2.1.
Two extensions to acheive what I can do with one extension (CookieCuller) now ? Not sure that's 'convient', but your suggestions are greatly appreciated anyway.

So thanks!