Remove t=palemoon from default duck duck go search

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
noomelap

Remove t=palemoon from default duck duck go search

Unread post by noomelap » 2014-12-02, 03:41

1. Is the suggested feature specific to your workflow?
Yes. I use alt+d and add an extra term to the end of the query, having to delete t=palemoon every time is quite annoying as I didn’t have to in Firefox.
2. Is the suggested feature culturally neutral?
I don’t see why not
3. How "advanced use" is the suggested feature?
Easy enough.
4. Are there multiple existing solutions to what the suggestion addresses?
Moonchild suggested editing the XML file, for some reason this did not work for me as Palemoon did not seem to reload the files. What worked for me was to delete duckduckgo-palemoon.xml and then re-add duckduckgo using “Get more search engines…” from Manage Search Engine List.
5. Does the suggestion improve overall quality of the browser?
Yes. While I can appreciate having the t=palemoon is valuable, it removes value from me as a user.
6. Does the suggestion hinder the download and display of any content?
No

I am asking for this as I variety of different machines and palemoon is my goto browser so the more features which work from stock download the better.

Thanks for the consideration.

Mercury

Re: Remove t=palemoon from default duck duck go search

Unread post by Mercury » 2014-12-02, 03:51

In order for search plugin XML changes to take effect, you must also delete the search.json file from your profile, then restart Pale Moon. This will force a reload of the search engines with the changes you've made.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-12-03, 20:10

Thanks for the suggestion :)

I won't remove the t parameter from the search query to keep aggregate (and of course anonymous) statistics as agreed with DDG when I included the search plugin, but it's easy enough to change the order of parameters to make the search query be the last one in the URL (which I will do in the next version of the browser) - that way everyone is happy ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-09-03, 20:03

Moonchild wrote:...but it's easy enough to change the order of parameters to make the search query be the last one in the URL (which I will do in the next version of the browser) - that way everyone is happy ;)
Has this been completed? I'm using 25.7.0 (x86) and when I do a DDG search the results are:

Code: Select all

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoon&q=pale+moon

Thanks!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-09-04, 00:02

ehhh. yeah this was completed in January with the release of 25.2.0 -- You didn't read the release notes? It was mentioned there ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-09-04, 00:25

Yeh, I did look, somehow missed it :wtf: I'm looking at page https://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes-archived.shtml and don't see this referenced. The first DDG reference that I see is in 24.4 when DDG was made the default search. But, I'm probably missing the obvious (once again).
That said, I'm still getting result seen above.

_Poke_

Unread post by _Poke_ » 2015-09-04, 00:56

x-15a2 wrote:
Moonchild wrote:...but it's easy enough to change the order of parameters to make the search query be the last one in the URL (which I will do in the next version of the browser) - that way everyone is happy ;)
Has this been completed? I'm using 25.7.0 (x86) and when I do a DDG search the results are:

Code: Select all

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoon&q=pale+moon

Thanks!
The search query (q=pale+moon) is last. It might have been clearer if you searched for something other than pale moon ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-09-04, 01:02

x-15a2 wrote:Yeh, I did look, somehow missed it :wtf: I'm looking at page https://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes-archived.shtml and don't see this referenced. The first DDG reference that I see is in 24.4 when DDG was made the default search. But, I'm probably missing the obvious (once again).
That said, I'm still getting result seen above.
Look again. 25.2.0, near the bottom of the list of changes.
Updated the DDG search plugin to make the actual query be the last parameter in the address bar for easy editing after a search has been performed.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-09-04, 10:51

Darn, I was searching for "duck" not "ddg", my bad. I was also confused because I thought that t=palemoon was going to be at the end, but it's the search query instead. Jeesh, getting old sucks.