Zoom reset

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Lunix

Re: Zoom reset

Unread post by Lunix » 2014-12-03, 01:01

Supernova wrote:Well his point is that for such small thing, having an add-on seems to be overkill.
Because add this other small thing, and that other one, oh and that one ; and you end with tons of addons you use just for super-small features.
Palemoon already avoid the need of a good bunch of them (I think to hide tab bar with one tab, favicons, close button control, and more), that's not bloating browser to include such thing.
Exactly. I'm getting a little frustrated reading this forum and seeing every request being answered with "RESOLVED WONTFIX", "WORKSFORME", "get an extension" or "write an add-on yourself".

I thought one of the tenets of Pale Moon was to preserve and restore the functionality that Firefox had been stripping away. Mozilla had been burying functions layers deep in the menu system, and removing other things altogether, long before Australis. But even using Pale Moon, now I need extensions to:

- Choose "Properties" on the rightclick menu (which Firefox used to have)
- Keep the Bookmarks Sidebar in the same position I left it when I close it to view a page full-size then reopen it to find another saved URL (which Firefox used to have)
- Have a built-in reset page size button that can be placed on the toolbar (which Firefox used to have)

These seem like pretty small, basic functionalities that never should have been removed from FF, and would logically fit back into PM. That's why I ask for such things here, not to throw more work at Moonchild or to be disrespectful about the amount of work he's already put into the browser.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-12-03, 01:24

I too fail to understand why Ctrl-0 isn't sufficient, but that's just me. You can install Toolbar Buttons which includes a zoom reset button.

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2014-12-03, 05:50

Lunix wrote:
Supernova wrote:Well his point is that for such small thing, having an add-on seems to be overkill.
Because add this other small thing, and that other one, oh and that one ; and you end with tons of addons you use just for super-small features.
Palemoon already avoid the need of a good bunch of them (I think to hide tab bar with one tab, favicons, close button control, and more), that's not bloating browser to include such thing.
Exactly. I'm getting a little frustrated reading this forum and seeing every request being answered with "RESOLVED WONTFIX", "WORKSFORME", "get an extension" or "write an add-on yourself".

I thought one of the tenets of Pale Moon was to preserve and restore the functionality that Firefox had been stripping away. Mozilla had been burying functions layers deep in the menu system, and removing other things altogether, long before Australis. But even using Pale Moon, now I need extensions to:

- Choose "Properties" on the rightclick menu (which Firefox used to have)
- Keep the Bookmarks Sidebar in the same position I left it when I close it to view a page full-size then reopen it to find another saved URL (which Firefox used to have)
- Have a built-in reset page size button that can be placed on the toolbar (which Firefox used to have)

These seem like pretty small, basic functionalities that never should have been removed from FF, and would logically fit back into PM. That's why I ask for such things here, not to throw more work at Moonchild or to be disrespectful about the amount of work he's already put into the browser.
I have to agree somewhat with that statement about needing minor extensions for reinstating some old features, though I don't really see a problem here with zoom resetting as it's located in the View menu. It would be convenient, however if the zoom controls that can be dragged to Status Bar contained like a drop arrow to access some of the advanced zoom control as found in the View column as it contains the reset switch. Attached is a poorly illustrated demonstration, forgive my editing skills. lol. Idea is clear though. This would simplify zoom settings for many users, I included:
Attachments
Capture.png

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2014-12-03, 13:42

Lunix wrote:I'm getting a little frustrated reading this forum and seeing every request being answered with "RESOLVED WONTFIX", "WORKSFORME", "get an extension" or "write an add-on yourself".
Do not forget there is also a difference between reverse engineering aka bringing existing code parts back and to "create functions out of nothing" - which means one must have the knowledge where to place code, to make sure to not get in conflict with other code parts - what i want to say, is that this second task - creating "simple" features is nothing simple at all for sure.

So i can understand why it is easier to recommend some add-ons which lead more or less to the same result instead of developing this features.

McFluffy

Unread post by McFluffy » 2014-12-03, 15:11

I really don't understand why my tiny feature request makes such a flutter here. It wasn't ment to give the audience a heart attack, and make them tamper their keybord with different exotic ways to avoid this tiny icon.
I don't want to press ctrl+0, nor do I want to install an add-on to get the reset zoom icon. For me it is logical to have a reset zoom icon when the +/- zoom icons are present.
But if it causes such a massive outcry, I will change my feature request to:
Remove the +/- zoom icons, since they make no sense without the reset zoom icon.
:roll:

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-12-03, 17:28

McFluffy wrote:But if it causes such a massive outcry, I will change my feature request to:
Remove the +/- zoom icons, since they make no sense without the reset zoom icon.
:roll:
That is nonsense and I am sure you know it. While a button to reset zoom level could be convenient for some, its lack does not influence the basic function of the zoom in and out function: 5x zoom in + 5x zoom out = reset.
Last edited by SvenG on 2014-12-03, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-12-03, 17:36

McFluffy wrote:I don't want to press [any key combo], nor do I want to install an add-on

That same sentiment is shared by nearly everyone who makes a suggestion/feature request. We all want our specific little tweaks built in to the browser. Well, sorry, IT ISN"T GOING TO HAPPEN, in most cases (which is obvious if you follow the threads here). So we should look for other alternatives. First, and most importantly, is just accepting that sometimes it will be necessary to press a key combination or make an extra mouse click. Where we go after that has many possibilities, but the ones I want to focus on are installing existing extensions or creating new ones. Explained more below even though it may be straying off topic.
Off-topic:
I think we can all agree installing a separate extension for every little thing is undesirable because it unnecessarily increases RAM usage, and creates a more complex browser setup to manage and especially troubleshoot when problems occur. So, with that and the other limitations to consider, one approach that I think works well is installing and/or developing extensions that combine many tweaks and functions under one extension install.

There are several multi-function extensions available now, including "Toolbar Buttons" that was suggested in a post above, and "Custom Buttons" (which I've discussed already in my thread on that), and "PrefBar" and "Vertical Toolbar", etc., possibly even including Pale Moon's own Pale Moon Commander (although ones like it are more config related than for adding buttons). Each of these has it's strengths and weaknesses. For example, I won't use and don't recommend the full Toolbar Buttons set because it is an enormous memory hog; but using the custom build version from the Codefisher site with just the buttons you need is fine.

So what I'd prefer to see is the people who have the knowledge and have sufficient interest focus on more of these multifunction type extensions. It solves the problem of needing a separate extension for every little thing and it avoids the fight of getting code added to the browser core. This is the sort of thing I'd like to work on with anyone who wants to help if there is anyone (obviously I'm not going to take it on all myself).

McFluffy

Unread post by McFluffy » 2014-12-03, 18:11

SvenG wrote:That is nonsense and I am sure you know it. While a button to reset zoom level could be convenient for some, it's lack does not influence the basic function of the zoom in and out function: 5x zoom in + 5x zoom out = reset.
No, this is nonsense and ignorance to the fact that people use application in dissimilar ways.
I use the +/- zoom icons regularly and have no clue how many times I have pressed the icons. But maybe you suggest I write it down on a piece of paper :roll:

The zoom reset icon is not a must, but would be convenient. Starting a verbal war over it, where I am accused to write nonsense is not really worth it, so please just remove the two +/- icons so I don't have to think about the missing reset icon.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-12-03, 20:34

To cut this short, a few points to consider:
  • The browser, without add-ons, provides generic features that would be suitable for the vast majority of users. Zoom controls in this respect are already a feature that lives in the lower usage percentages of Pale Moon users. Most users never use them.
  • The default UI feature set should reflect a balanced set, not an exhaustive set, of controls.
  • Generic features, by their nature, provide basic functionality but do not cater to every single possible contingency or potential use case.
  • You can reset the zoom the same way you set the zoom: you can use the + and - buttons, ctrl+mousewheel, or in one go with the keyboard shortcut ctrl+0. That is already 3 different ways to get back to 100% zoom.
  • Specific features for your specific workflow (in this case needing to reset the zoom often enough to want an individual control for it) would be extended functionality that in most cases belongs in (as you might have guessed by the name) extensions.
Since this thread was made into another heated debate about one particular thing reflecting on the general feature set decisions to be made by me personally, and since people are being immediately abrasive about it when resistance is given to the idea offered instead of making it a constructive discussion, I am:
  1. Locking this thread.
  2. Not inclined to give this priority. (yes, your behavior has achieved the opposite result of what was intended)
  3. Kindly requesting people to not get their panties/briefs in a bunch in the future.
PS: Pale Moon does not aim to restore every feature that has been removed from Firefox in the past. If you think that is part of Pale Moon's mission, then you have misunderstood.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite