My own useful links vs palemoon start page

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
lucmars

My own useful links vs palemoon start page

Unread post by lucmars » 2014-11-22, 16:00

Hello

I like the palemoon start page and I would like to have the same page with my own links. Or course that would be a local page and I could do it myself, but one has to know HTML and CSS so, I suggest a utility to do it.

The bookmarks toolbar is as well satisfying, but it's a bar, not a pane or a page.

I guess that in the past the ability to open the bookmarks or the library in a tab was suggested. This suggestion is still very nice even if one can argue that the sidebars are good enough. That's true, but so 90's.

Back to my suggestion above, the utility could "simply" generate the bookmarks as a local page. And those who knows CSS code could customize this local page according to their taste.

SvenG

Re: My own useful links vs palemoon start page

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-11-22, 17:36

You can do something similar (from a functionality point) of view with the various speed dial addons. You won't have icons for the sites you add (also with a custom function someone would have to make them) but you can make thumbnail previews of them.

lucmars

Unread post by lucmars » 2014-11-22, 18:53

Thanks for your answer, but it's just a trick.

The main question is that : either PM offer the suggested utility, either an add-on among some other do the job.

What's the policy in this case ?

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-11-22, 19:46

lucmars wrote:... but one has to know HTML and CSS so, I suggest a utility to do it.
Actually, you can do something as simple as creating the file using Word (or Open Office) and saving it as an HTML file. May be as simple as creating a document with a table, make the background whatever color, paste a web site's icon in each grid, you get the idea. Just a thought.

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2014-11-23, 03:58

You can do something similar (from a functionality point) of view with the various speed dial addons..
I have found this 'speed dial addon' to be nice - Speed Dial - Main
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

jangdonggun1234
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by jangdonggun1234 » 2014-11-23, 04:30

I think a new tab bookmark feature would be nice!

At this time I think you can do that by Export bookmark to HTML and then Use Notepad edit it, remove all comment and junk and remove all newline with space and you have what you want!

lucmars

Unread post by lucmars » 2014-11-23, 10:59

jangdonggun1234 wrote:I think a new tab bookmark feature would be nice!

At this time I think you can do that by Export bookmark to HTML and then Use Notepad edit it, remove all comment and junk and remove all newline with space and you have what you want!
That what I had in mind and since one can export the bookmark to HTML an utility to tweak easily the export is just missing.

Moreover, since the bookmark can be organized in several folder, it would be nice to be able to export a given folder or some of them. At this time it's all or nothing, isn't it ?

In fact, the export HTML functionality could be that utility by using some templates. At this stage one may not have the bigs icons but at least the favicon. Anyway, that's just a suggestion.

jangdonggun1234
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by jangdonggun1234 » 2014-11-24, 08:05

lucmars wrote:
jangdonggun1234 wrote:I think a new tab bookmark feature would be nice!

That what I had in mind and since one can export the bookmark to HTML an utility to tweak easily the export is just missing.

Moreover, since the bookmark can be organized in several folder, it would be nice to be able to export a given folder or some of them. At this time it's all or nothing, isn't it ?

In fact, the export HTML functionality could be that utility by using some templates. At this stage one may not have the bigs icons but at least the favicon. Anyway, that's just a suggestion.
Nice, but I think an add-on serve this feature is okay.

danielson
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by danielson » 2014-11-24, 13:18

ViewMarks addon works with PM 25.1
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... viewmarks/

You could set it as default start-page.