Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
nickodemos

Unread post by nickodemos » 2014-10-26, 14:09

because too many websites (including some very big players who, themselves, promote an Open Web...) still use very poor browser detection methods based on arbitrary User Agent string comparisons, not catering to alternative browsers, and the resulting user experience being poor (being presented with mobile site layouts, broken pages, or even being flat-out refused service because someone exercises freedom of choice for web browser used).
I was thinking on this and was wondering if there was a way the PM user could help on sites that we go to to help promote this change. The idea I had and was wondering if it could be implemented in the browser or an adhoc addon that could check PM status on the sites we visit and if they are not honoring/accepting (you know the terminology better than me) than we would get a pop up letting us know and and option of clicking on the sites webmaster email so we can respond.

This would be an opt in so that others not interested would not have to be bothered. Only request I would have is that this would track sites you did this with or canceled out so as to not pester on sites already done.

Is this a doable idea having the membership sending email to the sites or would this be something that would detract from from them doing. Also thought it might be easier if you already had a template response we all could send.

Supernova

Re: 25.0.2

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-26, 14:25

You can't detect browser-side what is done server-side with the UA.