Useful switch between "display images mode"

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Klementy

Useful switch between "display images mode"

Unread post by Klementy » 2014-10-22, 19:32

Very often, especially with the low-speed connections (like 3G modem, etc.), there is a need to easy switch the display images mode (on/off), with the ability to quickly load a necessary images by Ctrl + RightClick.
For these purposes, there is a very good addon - ImgLikeOpera. But, the problem: is that the author is seems to be abandon and does not updated it for compatibility and proper functioning in the latest versions of browser. :'(
Is it possible, to embed this addon in to Pale Moon, like another one - Status bar? I'm sure, many people will be grateful for such innovation! Especially, because another, more convenient alternative to toggle images, unfortunately does not exist.

P.S. Also maybe, for some, it will be another significant reason to go from FF to Pale Moon. :)
Last edited by Klementy on 2014-10-22, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Useful switch between "display images mode"

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-22, 19:37

You can easily switch image loading mode from Options - I made sure to keep that available for low bandwidth/low capped usage scenarios.
See Options -> Content -> Load images: selection box

As for the need to individually load images in a "no image" scenario, that's actually easier to accomplish in an add-on than it is building it into the core. Since the add-on linked to already exists, that would be your solution; but for v25 it may need to be forked or updated. Please report it in that case in the appropriate addon compatibility reports thread.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Klementy

Unread post by Klementy » 2014-10-22, 20:22

Thanks for the answer!
Unfortunately, this addon has ceased to function normally somewhere since FF 27, and the author does not respond to multiple requests from users to fix it. Just a pity, because this abilities from ImgLikeOpera are very popular for many advanced (and not) users.

Benefits:
- substantial savings for some traffic scenarios;
- the ability to focus on the text and not be distracted by extraneous;
- if needed, quickly load the necessary images by Ctrl + RightClick, or all together without having to reboot the page itself.
Last edited by Klementy on 2014-10-22, 20:58, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-22, 20:45

If it ceased to function around the FF27 time, then it's very likely to be compatible with Pale Moon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Klementy

Unread post by Klementy » 2014-10-22, 20:58

As for me so, this is the most important and necessary opportunity in managing the browser, and the control of the consumption of traffic.
Thank You, in any case! Maybe to someone else, this information will be useful. :)

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-10-22, 21:37

I took a quick look at it (used to use that feature in Opera). It installs in 25.0.1 but is not functioning properly. The usual easy fixes were not applicable.

Sowmoots

Unread post by Sowmoots » 2014-10-23, 18:46

mikeysc wrote:I took a quick look at it (used to use that feature in Opera). It installs in 25.0.1 but is not functioning properly. The usual easy fixes were not applicable.
It works fine in PM24.7.2 and PM25.0.1 for me. In my config of defaulting to only load cached images, it doesn't load images until I switch it to load all images or choose an image to load via the context menu. If you're talking about it:
  • not removing the images when you set it to don't load images, until you refresh
  • not loading images in other tabs with the same image, when you load it in the current tab
  • occasionally restoring images wrongly, requiring you to either reload or clear the cache
, those were bugs present in the addon itself for a long time and not introduced by PM25. As a former Opera user myself, the addon doesn't really replicate Opera's image control features very well, but it works well enough for me.

But then again, some of the addons which were identified as incompatible with PM25 actually still work fine for me. After upgrading to PM25 I had no problem with DOM Inspector and Add to Search Bar for example, though Adblock Edge and Findbar Tweak did fail so I replaced them with the pseudo-static versions.

Klementy

Unread post by Klementy » 2014-10-23, 19:42

I have long time been surprised: why this really useful and important function as a convenient switching images view, do not realize in modern browsers? For example in Chrome, when images are disabled, you do not have the ability - even to show the desired images from the context menu.

Sowmoots

Unread post by Sowmoots » 2014-10-23, 21:22

Klementy wrote:I have long time been surprised: why this really useful and important function as a convenient switching images view, do not realize in modern browsers? For example in Chrome, when images are disabled, you do not have the ability - even to show the desired images from the context menu.
Three reasons:
Firstly, Opera is involved in the mobile browser scene during the early days before touchscreen smartphones and high-speed internet connections became the norm, where having the ability to do so is very much needed to save on bandwidth.
Secondly, Opera used to include the mail component M2 and not showing images in emails is a good privacy feature against pixel beacons.
Thirdly, not loading images can break the functionality of modern sites in a few ways such as no graphic for buttons and some lazy loading spinning indicator never loading it's content until you reenable images and reload.

Sadly, I don't think any major browser would ever include this useful feature out-of-the-box anymore. Today most browsers expect plentiful bandwidth(and memory) and people tend to use webmail over mail clients(and even if they did they would use a dedicated program over an internet suite like Opera).

Klementy

Unread post by Klementy » 2014-10-24, 13:35

Sowmoots,
Much Thanks for detailed review.

But, nevertheless, thinking this functionality is not superfluous.
No matter how increased the speed access to the Internet, it is still very often have to go to a web pages overflowing many unnecessary images - despite, that is needed a just-only text information.

Also, do not forget, what is now happening a rapid increase of Internet access around the World. But the possibilities of networking equipment are not unlimited. So, need some kind of Culture in the Web surfing sphere. I.e. download as much information - how much is really necessary. Perhaps, except the advertising (in some cases), which serves to maintain the site work or earnings for the project author.

Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trinoc » 2014-10-24, 14:13

You could try QuickJava (version 2.0.4 seems to work OK in PM 24.7.2 and 25.0.2). Despite its name it's not just about Java, but provides a string of toolbar icons to enable or disable Java, JavaScript, Flash, Silverlight, Cookies, Image loading, Image animation and CSS styles.

Klementy

Unread post by Klementy » 2014-10-24, 18:53

Yeah, I have a QuickJava. But, use it only for switching: JavaScript, Cookies, CSS and Proxy. For Flash - Flashblock. And for pictures - ImgLikeOpera, because more handy and functional tool for that, unfortunately does not exist.

Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trinoc » 2014-10-24, 20:51

Klementy wrote:Yeah, I have a QuickJava. But, use it only for switching: JavaScript, Cookies, CSS and Proxy. For Flash - Flashblock. And for pictures - ImgLikeOpera, because more handy and functional tool for that, unfortunately does not exist.
ImgLikeOpera looks like it has some nice features I'd like as well, particularly overriding the expiration time of an image so that pages packed with images don't have to make a connection for each one, even when that connection is only to determine that it hasn't changed and can be reloaded from cache. Even then, a lot of web pages are too lazy to set realistic expiration times and so force every image to be reloaded every time.

Edit: I just tried installing ImgLikeOpera in Palemoon 24.7.2. At first it seemed to work well, but then I loaded a page with a tiled map (here) and no matter how many times I refresh the page some of the tiles come out as just grey background. This doesn't seem to be the same as the images not getting loaded at all, since the image captions I see when in "do not load images" more are nor present. Is there a configuration setting I'm missing here? The filter options don't seem to have a way to whitelist a site completely so that the add-on doesn't try to process its images at all.

Edit edit: The above problem only seems to happen if I have the forced expiry time option set, which unfortunately is the main feature I was hoping to use. Apart from that, ImgLikeOpera seems to work OK in Palemoon 25.0.2 (that is, it seems to work in 25.0.2 at least as well as it works in 24.7.2).

Klementy

Unread post by Klementy » 2014-10-25, 12:32

OK, how I use ImgLikeOpera.

To begin, put the icon to a convenient place on Toolbar, or opposite the Menu Bar (pic. 1).

Then adjust: "Default policy for new window/tab" to "Load cached images only". On the tab "Filters" specifies the rules for several websites (where also can be used AdBlock regular expressions). As the, basically I'm switch between two modes: "Load cached images only" and "Load all images", then on tab "Experimental options" for the convenience of switching, leaves enabled only that two modes (pic. 2).

To switch images view modes, is possible not only by LeftClick/RightClick a mouse on the icon, but also by shortcut keys Alt+N/Alt+M.

Well, because myself is actively using mouse gestures, thanks FireGestures, these shortcuts can be assigned to convenient gestures, such as Left-Right/Right-Left (pic. 3).

If needed, here is a sample User Script for keyboard shortcut Alt+N:

Code: Select all

var evt = document.createEvent("KeyEvents");
evt.initKeyEvent(
"keypress",
true,
true,
null,
false, // holds Ctrl key
true, // holds Alt key
false, // holds Shift key
false, // holds Meta key
0, // special key
"N".charCodeAt(0) // a normal key
);
document.documentElement.dispatchEvent(evt);
Well, as, in my case, all sites will open by default at "Load cached images only", then to load required images is very handy trick, like Ctrl+RightClick on image.

Mostly, that's all for me :think: