canvas fingerprinting

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: canvas fingerprinting

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-21, 23:20

It all depends on how it's implemented, but canvas is used in many places legitimately.
In fact, Pale Moon uses canvas surfaces in parts of its chrome; would the patches also account for that?

As said above though, block the one company prominently using this kind of fingerprinting (AddThis) and you should already be good for over 95% of this type of fingerprinting.
Also, if I were TOR, I wouldn't send a blank canvas back, but instead add random data to it. blank results can easily be filtered out, but random data can't be confirmed to be correct or false. Let them bloat their tracking databases with bogus data and see how they are going to manage that kind of data in the long run.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-22, 00:16

I took a look about Tor patches.
All the relevant should be available via this ticket list ; however it includes a good bunch of irrelevant too.
The relevant ones seem to be this one, this one and that one.
Off-topic:
Searching in these tickets, I found a link about google and what it did again opera : https://dev.opera.com/blog/google-browser-sniffing-and-the-open-web/
This only confirm that google definitely won't change its stragey vs pale moon & other small browsers.

jangdonggun1234
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by jangdonggun1234 » 2014-11-15, 10:59

I know how to block canvas fingerprint, use Privoxy and remove all createElement("canvas"); and all test site show your browser doesn't support canvas.

Here is what I've reached so far.. http://i.imgur.com/Co5Q67X.png

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-11-15, 13:37

And what will you do if the site executes this?

Code: Select all

eval("\x72\x63\x61\x65\x65\x74\x6c\x45\x6d\x65\x6e\x65\x28\x74\x61\x63\x76\x6");
You don't try to subvert malicious content with static analysis.

jangdonggun1234
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by jangdonggun1234 » 2014-11-15, 14:52

That is just what I found, I think there is a way to use Javascript to override canvas tag, I've tried to override createElement with a prompt dialog confirm if you want to run createElement command or not but never tried to override canvas tag, maybe Moonchild, do you know how to override HTML tag using Javascript ?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-15, 19:01

With JavaScript using DOM you can do anything with the document tree you want. that includes changing html tags, deleting nodes, inserting other nodes, etc.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite