omtc compositing ?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Skrell

omtc compositing ?

Unread post by Skrell » 2014-10-14, 12:37

Will Palemoon be implementing the latest Firefox 33 feature of off main thread compositing ? Seems like a good thing!
https://benoitgirard.wordpress.com/2012 ... t-matters/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: omtc compositing ?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-14, 21:18

OMTC is an interesting concept, but considering the rendering/composition in Pale moon hardly ever blocks the main thread because of its optimizations, it's at most a "nice to have" but also on the flipside comes with a whole can of worms for asynchronous handling of page parsing and rendering.
I do not believe OMTC in Firefox 33 is ready for prime time, either.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Skrell

Unread post by Skrell » 2014-10-14, 21:37

i haven't tried out FF33 but i will give it a spin and let you know if i feel it's as great as it sounds...then maybe you'll consider it ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-19, 13:14

Well, it seems to be a workaround for something that is not a problem to begin with in Pale Moon, and the platform where it would be more important (Android) has OMTC already. ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Skrell

Unread post by Skrell » 2014-10-19, 14:26

Well i tried out the latest FF on my old winxp machine hoping that the interface would feel "snappier" but it felt EXACTLY the same amount of lagginess as before :( Hence why i use palemoon and hence why i'm SUPER glad there is a 3rd party build of it for xp! :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-10-19, 15:21

Windows XP (or any NT5.x) would not benefit from it because of the rather "primitive" state of DriectX related components. DirectX back then was not something that was increasingly baked into all aspects of everything it had a feature set and intended use that was rather specific. This is something that started with DX10. So you wouldn't find any effect. As for later Windows versions it is exactly as Moonchild said. A solution for a problem Pale Moon doesn't necessarily have.

Skrell

Unread post by Skrell » 2014-10-20, 12:52

Oh.... :-/

jangdonggun1234
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by jangdonggun1234 » 2014-11-15, 10:58

Well, now we have super big reason to not to return to Firefox:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis#What_to_Expect

They probably will implement Chrome multi-process method, not one process for UI and other for content only which I feel it is good, because I can just kill content process to save my RAM, CPU, glitch, anything.. Chrome multi-process is a shit, that is why I never use Chrome even I had 8GB RAM

But I still hope Palemoon will have non-sse2 version, so I don't have to care about my CPU before install Palemoon, and SSE2, I don't think it is much better than default.

Jonguy30

Unread post by Jonguy30 » 2014-11-15, 11:18

I feel the same way, as I think most people who chose Pale Moon also does. Electrolysis will be the next big wave of complaints from firefox users. There will be a huge amount of complaints from users telling that addons doesn't work (again), websites not displaying properly and/or not working at all. Major stability issues etc. etc.. A certain Mozilla fan forum will be flooded with complaints, those regulars there will have a lot of work to do I'm sure. It will be fun to watch/read. :D

But I've heard (it was in ghacks I think, the author of the website told it) that Mozilla has claimed e10s will be "memory efficient". Let's see how true that is. Because we know how it is with "mozilla" and "RAM/memory".

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-11-15, 11:24

I read something about memory usage of electrolysis a few months back, and if I remember correctly, it remained efficient only when separating very few (like omtc composing) but got worse and worse to be just bad with 1 process per tab. Tabs using separate processes aren't able to save RAM by sharing various things.

jangdonggun1234
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by jangdonggun1234 » 2014-11-15, 11:25

At this time I cannot believe yet, they just show us e10s with 1 UI 1 content RAM, but they plan to release e10s with multi-process just like Chrome.
And Palemoon 25 is fast enough, sad that I cannot use Firebug but I think Tobin will release a pseudo ver soon.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-15, 12:28

e10s is in the current Nightly as an option (as long as you don't use IME keyboard input...). I haven't tried it out, but it looks like a separate-process-per-tab setup.
There's plenty wrong with that setup, which I already touched on in other threads on the forum.

By the way, OMTC has been enabled in FF33, and it kills your canvas performance if used. In nightly that performance is OK again so a fix is "in the pipe" but no idea what version that would debut in -- in the release channel it's at least not ready or acceptable (unless you like stuttery HTML5 games...)

jangdonggun1234
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by jangdonggun1234 » 2014-11-15, 13:26

After some tries I know at this time FIrefox muli-process is one process for UI and one for content, like this:

firefox.exe
-plugin-container.exe as content holder.

But they will become Chrome-like multi-process soon, so we will expect:
firefox.exe
firefox.exe
firefox.exe
firefox.exe
firefox.exe
firefox.exe
firefox.exe

But anyway, the 1st option is really nice, because it opens a way to release RAM by killing process that hold content.