User Agent

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Freezing Moon

User Agent

Unread post by Freezing Moon » 2014-10-11, 11:01

Current way of changing UA per site is too complicated and tedious for average users, so my suggestion
is to add this option to Pale Moon Commander.
I hope this is the correct forum section for my request.
Thanks.

x-15a2

Re: User Agent

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-10-11, 11:42

There are User Agent extensions that you can use. This functionality is perfect for extensions and not a good idea for the core program.

Freezing Moon

Unread post by Freezing Moon » 2014-10-11, 11:50

x-15a2 wrote:There are User Agent extensions that you can use. This functionality is perfect for extensions and not a good idea for the core program.
Pale Moon Commander

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... er/?src=ss

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-11, 11:59

It's probably best to create a separate add-on for this that only does this kind of UA management and nothing else.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-10-11, 12:02

Moonchild wrote:It's probably best to create a separate add-on for this that only does this kind of UA management and nothing else.
Several already exist. I use User Agent Changer

Ghosthree3

Unread post by Ghosthree3 » 2014-10-11, 15:21

Honestly I just toggled general.useragent.compatMode.firefox to true because the first thing I saw after loading the new version was how weird Google looked without the Mozilla User Agent and I foresaw it happening a lot. So I just enabled the old one globally. (Moonchild please don't remove that option!)

Jonguy30

Unread post by Jonguy30 » 2014-10-11, 15:36

Heh. We aren't Mozilla over here. We don't remove features like they do. "We removed x and y feature because people didn't use them very often" and "Performance issues". Yeah right...

Rarely is a feature removed from Pale Moon. Instead we add features, meaningful ones I should add. So, you shouldn't worry about feature removals over here.

Freezing Moon

Unread post by Freezing Moon » 2014-10-14, 15:53

Moonchild wrote:It's probably best to create a separate add-on for this that only does this kind of UA management and nothing else.
Is there any news about this add-on ?
Thanks.

LigH1L
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by LigH1L » 2014-10-18, 12:42

How many of such add-ons do you need? Search Mozilla Add-ons for User Agent ... there are plenty.

I'd recommend a combo of UAControl (which can send a different UA string per site) and User-Agent JS Fixer (which also updates the navigator.userAgent JavaScript attribute to match the HTTP header).

There are already sites which check the user agent for browser versions and refuse their full feature set for browsers which appear to be outdated, despite them (or their HTML/JavaScript render engines) being very standard conformant. One current example is Google Image Search which started to disable AJAX support and reverse image search for Opera 12.17 already, and now even disables it for Pale Moon 25.0.1. After I patched the UA string in UAControl for the site "google.de" (for me being German), Google Image Search again offered AJAX results and reverse search for Pale Moon.

UA of Pale Moon 25.0.1: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20141013 PaleMoon/25.0.1
UA of Firefox 33.0: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0
Check it yourself with a small script on my site.
__

Ah, well, this appears to work too (about.config):
Ghosthree3 wrote:Honestly I just toggled general.useragent.compatMode.firefox to true ...
UA of Pale Moon 25.0.1 in Firefox compatibility mode: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20141013 Firefox/24.9 PaleMoon/25.0.1
Fun and success!

SvenG

Unread post by SvenG » 2014-10-21, 21:18

LigH1L wrote:I'd recommend a combo of UAControl (which can send a different UA string per site) and User-Agent JS Fixer (which also updates the navigator.userAgent JavaScript attribute to match the HTTP header).
:thumbup: Nice recommendation. UAControl should have a list of defaults, but besides that pretty easy to use.

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2014-10-24, 09:50

It would be nice with a simple checkbox in the navigation bar "per site", or domain, and then an interface where you can manage all sites.

I've looked for UA changers but they all seem old and outdated and/or complex to use.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-24, 10:06

It'll require something new to be written. Pale Moon's per-site overrides would be a key way to do this, but obviously this isn't present in Firefox, which only supports a global override.
It is a great idea to have a management extension for this, but it'll have to be written by someone with the time to do so.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Ozzed
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Ozzed » 2014-10-27, 07:08

Well, I think the changes that were made recently is a "good enough" compromise. Pale Moon is in the UA, and sites don't block it.