Taskbar icon blurry when browser open

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
cipricus

Taskbar icon blurry when browser open

Unread post by cipricus » 2014-09-24, 13:13

I have used Pale Moon as my default browser for many years and I will continue to, but since the beginning I noticed an annoying detail that I hoped will be fixed in time, but it's still there:

In Windows 7, the pinned taskbar icon/button looks just fine when the browser is closed, but when it is open, it becomes blurry, in contrast with the other taskbar buttons, unless I make the setting in Taskbar properties to combine the taskbar buttons.

Button not combined, blurry:

Browser closed, ok:

Buttons combined, ok:

Shouldn't this be fixed?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Taskbar icon blurry when browser open

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-24, 20:07

If you pay close attention to the other icons, they are distorted the exact same way as the Pale Moon icon. (make a screenshot and zoom in if you can't see it). It's not "blurry", it's just oddly scaled as a pixel-resize (no smoothing) by the looks of it.

This look like it's a bug in how Windows displays the taskbar icons if your system scale is not 100% (at 100%, the taskbar buttons when not combined don't distort, at least not on my system -- it may even be system-specific; can someone confirm this is global?) and taskbar buttons are not combined.
uncombined3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

cipricus

Unread post by cipricus » 2014-09-24, 20:37

I had indeed set the display to 125% (Medium).

You say: "This look like it's a bug in how Windows displays the taskbar icons if your system scale is not 100%". - I imagined something like that, and indeed I noticed the distortion of the other icons, although only when I looked at the captured image, because what I see on my computer is not as striking.

I just think that the Pale Moon icon is more "exposed" to the effect of this bug. Is that just a false impression of mine? I was thinking that maybe an icon with a different resolution or something will be preferable.

I greatly appreciate your quick reply, which I find very useful.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-25, 07:14

It's not possible to include an icon at every possible scaling resolution ;)
Pale Moon uses standard resolutions in its icon file like any and every other application out there. The fact that it becomes clearer with its icon that there is a flaw in Windows' display of icons can't be fixed on the browser side. It's unfortunate that your monitor's matrix and/or settings aggravate the distorted result.

If it is not specific to your system (e.g. caused by your video driver), then this is a bug in the Windows taskbar that should be reported to Microsoft and fixed by them, although I never have high hopes for such a thing.
fp-026.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

cipricus

Unread post by cipricus » 2014-09-25, 07:54

Thank you again for your time and attention.
I was not at all hunting for bugs on the Pale Moon side :) (that's why I posted in this section and not in that for reporting bugs).
I was just curious what the cause may be, because I like PaleMoon so much and greatly appreciate the idea behind it and I want it to be a perfect experience. (I imagined maybe a detail easily to change etc).
Your answer make things clear for me, whether it's about Microsoft or my drivers, and also points to a solution, because my problem appears only when using the medium dispay setting (125%), and is absent when using the other two options: 100% and 150%. I guess I should use one of those on this laptop.
I am looking forward to using Pale Moon in Linux too.
I wish you best of success.