[Wontfix] Integrate tab flick add-on features to core

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
win7-7
Fanatic
Fanatic

[Wontfix] Integrate tab flick add-on features to core

Unread post by win7-7 » 2014-09-09, 19:48

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... tab-flick/

I have investigated this add-on more than last time and it does create new windows of tabs by dragging and it does create it to same size as what you were using. Also it is easier to organize tabs with this add-on. It also lets you put tab back to toolbar easier way than is allowed normally(watch third screenshot, basically clicking blue edged tab preview will automatically put tab back to right place). It is very useful. Screenshots that I took in virtual machine explain how it works. Would it be possible to integrate tab flick add-on features to core of browser?

Moonchild: You could also try it yourself if screenshots doesn't explain clearly enough what my point is.
[Screenshots removed, functionality was clear]

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Integrate tab flick add-on features to core of browser!

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-09, 20:06

Anything is possible the question is... is it desirable to change the behavior in browser core?

One thing you have to realize is if we make frontend ui changes willynilly we risk becoming incompatible with other tab related addons. I would lean tword the position that the current behavior is acceptable and that since the addon does what you want... just use that

It is what extensions were designed to do after all.. extend, change, add functionality.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2014-09-09, 21:10, edited 2 times in total.

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-09-09, 20:39

I would rather have fewer tab-this and tab-that features. All we need tabs for is the basic functions. I can remember when there were no tabs, and one thing that was better years ago is that each "tab" (i.e., child window) did not have to be maximized - they could be tiled or cascaded like in other windows apps. I still have browsers that work that way in fact.) I would even remove "List all Tabs" if I did my own build. And no thumbnails in new tab page either; what are thumbnails for, people who can't read? People in general need to learn to use computers and the OS the way they're designed rather than asking for everything to be redesigned. I see a lot of posts here from people who aren't satisfied if the they have to lift a finger to tap a key or one extra click of a mouse. For my part how about adding a browser command line interface and then I won't need all these dang buttons. Remember we used to use computers without a mouse. /tirade

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-09-09, 21:23

I didn't see a reason to integrate this in the browser core.
The addon works right? Then all is fine.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-10, 00:49

Everyone wants to use different additional features to tabs these days, it seems.

My answer: no - if you have an add-on that works, use the add-on already. Please don't ask your personal preferred individual way of working to be incorporated into the browser core since it will just add code complexity and potential bugs that are unneeded. Instead, use one of the major core strengths of Pale Moon which is a stable base to use extensions on it, as you like, to make it your browser to surf your way.
There is a good reason why all these "extras" are best left to extensions - if implementing all of this in the core, you'd very quickly get conflicting functionality. Extensibility is what you need to look at. What may save you 1 minute to download and install would cause many hours of troubleshooting if the functionality conflicts with what other people want in the browser the same way.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

win7-7
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by win7-7 » 2014-09-10, 06:45

Understandable. I will continue use tab flick add-on.