PM 25 CSS feature request/fix

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
AdmiralAnimE

PM 25 CSS feature request/fix

Unread post by AdmiralAnimE » 2014-09-07, 20:03

I'm developing a site and I used display:table-cell, position:relative on parent, position:absolute on child. In Palemoon the child element flies off to position itself to the body or some other element, ignoring the parent. This (ignoring position:relative on display:table-cell) is a bug I think in Firefox, however it's fixed in the newer versions. Can you implement/fix this in Palemoon 25?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PM 25 CSS feature request/fix

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-08, 00:02

I guess you're running into bug #63895 from 2000?
If so, no guarantees about which Pale Moon version this will appear in, and I suggest you wrap your elements into a div (as has been the normal practice for the past 10+ years, and a safe bet that it renders correctly in a much larger array of browsers) to position them absolute inside your relatively positioned parent or not use table-cell on the parent (is there a specific reason you are using a CSS table cell here?). I'm aware the CSS2 spec says table elements should be valid parents for absolute positioning but it's simply not that straightforward to fix.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

AdmiralAnimE

Unread post by AdmiralAnimE » 2014-09-08, 15:06

Wow I didn't realize it's that old. I'm testing in the latest versions of the major browsers (IE11, chrome37, ff32), and in general I want to use less prefixes and empty containers to get what I need.
I have parent with display:table, inside column1 and column2. Column2 has display:table-cell because I need it to be 100% height of parent even if column1 has more height, and then I have another child inside column2 that has to be positioned on the bottom of it, and that happens with position:absolute and position:relative on column2. Haven't found any other solution, and this one is pretty easy.
I hoped it'll be easy to fix but take your time if it's not.

edit: I thought the wrapper you suggested doesn't work, but it's fine when I set height:100% to both it and column2. Thanks

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-08, 20:05

AdmiralAnimE wrote:Wow I didn't realize it's that old. I'm testing in the latest versions of the major browsers (IE11, chrome37, ff32), and in general I want to use less prefixes and empty containers to get what I need.
I have parent with display:table, inside column1 and column2. Column2 has display:table-cell because I need it to be 100% height of parent even if column1 has more height, and then I have another child inside column2 that has to be positioned on the bottom of it, and that happens with position:absolute and position:relative on column2. Haven't found any other solution, and this one is pretty easy.
I hoped it'll be easy to fix but take your time if it's not.

edit: I thought the wrapper you suggested doesn't work, but it's fine when I set height:100% to both it and column2. Thanks
What are you trying to do? can you put an example up on the internets.. I personally use table and table-cell in my layout design.. Maybe my css could give you a little bit of insight..

http://binaryoutcast.com/ and http://binaryoutcast.com/wp-content/themes/binoc-v24/style.css
#BinOC-Content, #BinOC-Content-Body and #BinOC-Content-Sidebar

AdmiralAnimE

Unread post by AdmiralAnimE » 2014-09-09, 10:29

http://jsfiddle.net/3fzu92jo/
I didn't have .comments_main_wrapper, instead I wanted to set .comments_main to position:relative, so .comments_meta can position itself to it. Table-cell is very useful in general.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-09, 11:23

Can you just give me an example of what you want exactly?

AdmiralAnimE

Unread post by AdmiralAnimE » 2014-09-09, 12:49

Matt A Tobin wrote:Can you just give me an example of what you want exactly?
That's the example, the link my previous post. I wanted to use table-cell parent for position:relative, but until that's fixed I'm using a wrapper.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-17, 22:27

It should be fixed in v25. At least the test cases for it seem to give good results after the patch.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite