List all tabs

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Focuscar

List all tabs

Unread post by Focuscar » 2014-09-02, 10:46

Hi,
The "List all tabs" button shows previews of all tabs, but in terms of user interface & efficiency I find it pretty useless to include previews of Pinned Tabs.

Reason:
- Pin Tabs are always visible.
- Pin Tabs previews are always on the top-left
- And The user know it.

If it is possible, it would be nice to have an option to exclude Pinned Tabs previews from it.

-------------------------------------
I use Palemoon 24.7.1 (x64)
Focuscar.

vayth

Re: List all tabs

Unread post by vayth » 2014-09-03, 01:26

I'd like to add if it's okay (or should I make a new thread?), can you also add a highlight or something for current tab? I was trying to rearrange my tabs so I can close tabs to the right, but it's a bit difficult with so many tabs opened.

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-09-03, 01:37

Current tab should be highlighted (different color) already. Maybe you should try a different theme if you're not seeing that. But if you're referring to those page thumbnail images (to me, those aren't tabs even though they link to them), I don't use them so ignore this.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-03, 08:43

If you start to exclude tabs, it's no longer "all" tabs, so that would make it a little counter-intuitive. I do see the point though and I'll have a look if it's feasible to build in an extra check.

As for the highlight request: not sure what you're trying to do with "all tabs" but you can't arrange anything in that view, that's not what it's for. The view is an expansion of the Ctrl+Tab tab switching view, listing all tabs with a quick filter search. It's not an organizer or anything.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-09-03, 12:02

vayth wrote:I'd like to add if it's okay (or should I make a new thread?), can you also add a highlight or something for current tab? I was trying to rearrange my tabs so I can close tabs to the right, but it's a bit difficult with so many tabs opened.
As an alternative, you could install the Tab Groups add-on, and use it's panorama view. In panorama view, the current tab is highlighted.

Focuscar

Unread post by Focuscar » 2014-09-03, 13:45

Thanks for looking into it.

I was just looking at TabGroup previews of a group, and I noticed that from there it does exclude pinned tabs (because icons are on the right). Seems logical but that's another feature, another history.

As for the 'Highlight current tab' proposed by vayth, My Own Opinion:
- I must say I agree with his proposal.
- Sometimes you have like 30 tabs, you use 'List all tabs' to look quickly for a specific tab -> and You know it is 'to the right' of your current tab. You won't type into the search for such movements.

-----
Focuscar.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-09-03, 14:05

Focuscar wrote:As for the 'Highlight current tab' proposed by vayth, My Own Opinion:
- I must say I agree with his proposal.
- Sometimes you have like 30 tabs, you use 'List all tabs' to look quickly for a specific tab -> and You know it is 'to the right' of your current tab. You won't type into the search for such movements.
I think it would be hard to implement this, because "List all tabs" is part of the Ctrl+Tab tab switching view, where you select the tab you want to display by highlighting it's preview (with a dark-coloured frame).

If I were you, I would just go with the Tab Groups panorama view; it seems to have everything you're looking for. :)

Focuscar

Unread post by Focuscar » 2014-09-04, 12:50

Antonius32 wrote:If I were you, I would just go with the Tab Groups panorama view; it seems to have everything you're looking for. :)
Yes ofc, if it is not feasible that won't matter me more than than.

But I need to point something:
I use both Tab Groups & Tabs listing extensively everyday. They are 2 completely different features and I think you are confusing them a bit.
- They are not interchangeable that much, TabGroup is about organisation and multitasking various groups, previews just help to enter a specific group.
- Tab listing would help you preview your 'current working group' easily. Even without highlighting, anyone would stick to use 'List all tabs' which focuses the current group.

I work with them everyday, I have 30 groups for 189 tabs in Palemoon and like 20 groups for 200 tabs in Firefox. Some people think groups and bookmarks can be used interchangeably but they are different concepts and not in my case. ;) :coffee:

-----------
P.S: Even in TabGroups preview I see no highlighting of current tab.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-09-04, 13:10

Focuscar wrote:But I need to point something:
I use both Tab Groups & Tabs listing extensively everyday. They are 2 completely different features and I think you are confusing them a bit.
- They are not interchangeable that much, TabGroup is about organisation and multitasking various groups, previews just help to enter a specific group.
- Tab listing would help you preview your 'current working group' easily. Even without highlighting, anyone would stick to use 'List all tabs' which focuses the current group.
I know they are different features, with different purposes. But I think that as long as you only have one tab group, you can use Tab Groups' panorama view as an alternative to the "List all tabs" feature. I didn't know you were actively using the Tab Groups feature already (for it's actual purpose); hence my suggestion to use it as an alternative to preview your open tabs.

( :coffee: Good idea!)

Parsifal

Unread post by Parsifal » 2014-09-04, 13:29

Off-topic:
This is not at all a critic of having that many tabs opened that recognizing them requires in fine an organizational approach, and I know many users handle a browser in this way, but I remain stunned with this practice. We have a History feature, why keep dozens and more tabs opened simultaneously? Not to mention that doing so is an open highway for cross-sites' information exchange. This is so little a critic that I'm posting it off-topic.