[SOLVED] Connection settings - no proxy by default

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
buggy

[SOLVED] Connection settings - no proxy by default

Unread post by buggy » 2014-08-31, 13:07

Hello

As on the majority of computers there is no proxy installed, i would like to know if there is a good reason for choosing "use system proxy settings" by default?
With people do not even knowing what is a proxy there is a big chance if their machines are infected by an adware/spyware/malware using a proxy package they are redirected more easily without their consent, without their knowledge. Even if i know with Firefox these malicious programs most of the time can change our connection settings, for my part i think it would be better to have "no proxy" by default. Also probably not feasible... but if this setting could be securised it would be nice, for example with Pale Moon Commander maybe?. Also people wanting to use a proxy should know they have to check their connection settings.

Edit: some misspellings + solved.
Last edited by buggy on 2014-08-31, 23:51, edited 3 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Connection settings - no proxy by default

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-31, 19:53

Exactly because of people not knowing what a proxy is, it's important to follow the system settings as proxies may have been set up by an admin that must be used.
In addition, transparent proxies at the system level are also used by a good number of AV/security suites where this protection would be nullified if the default is "no proxy" instead of using the system setting.

If you want to lock down settings so they can't be changed, use mozilla.cfg/lockPref()
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

buggy

Re: [SOLVED] Connection settings - no proxy by default

Unread post by buggy » 2014-08-31, 20:32

Ok thanks for the explanation, as proxies are well known to slow browsing i did not know AV suites could use them by default. And thanks for "lockPref" i did not know the trick too.