[Sept. 7 Update] Setting to disable high contrast mode

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

[Sept. 7 Update] Setting to disable high contrast mode

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2014-08-29, 23:06

2014-09-07 Update:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=790706#c5 wrote:I don't have a proper environment to build/test this in, and likelwise I apologise if my comment breaks any etiquette as it is my first post here. But looking at the source, it seems the relevant change should be made starting at line 626 in /layout/base/nsPresContext.cpp

Specifically, change this bit:

Code: Select all

624     else {
   625       useAccessibilityTheme =
   626         LookAndFeel::GetInt(LookAndFeel::eIntID_UseAccessibilityTheme, 0);
   627       usePrefColors = !useAccessibilityTheme;
   628     }
To this:

Code: Select all

624     else {
   625       useAccessibilityTheme =
   626         !Preferences::GetBool("browser.display.ignore_accessibility_theme", false) &&
   627         LookAndFeel::GetInt(LookAndFeel::eIntID_UseAccessibilityTheme, 0);
   628       usePrefColors = !useAccessibilityTheme;
   629     }
I don't know what other magic (if any) is required to make the browser.display.ignore_accessibility_theme config option available.

Someone who is a proper dev (I'm really not) please, PLEASE look at this, because right now I either have to switch themes every time I want to use my browser, or stick with Opera (which at least renders correctly in high-contrast mode, but has too many other issues to put up with.)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Original post wrote:I inquired about this as off-topic in another thread previously, but more and more I'm running into problems on some websites with said mode.

Here's two recent examples:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/int ... 918-5.html
http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/26/607182 ... ossing-dlc

With high contrast mode, the image slideshows in both links are flat-out invisible.

Therefore, it'd be advantageous to be able to disable high-contrast mode in only Pale Moon and then use an extension like NoSquint which allows custom website colors on a per-website basis. Currently the user must completely disable high contrast mode in Windows itself, which is very sub-optimal.

For reference, Chrome allows disabling its own high contrast mode without needing to disable that mode in Windows.
Last edited by __NM64__ on 2014-09-07, 05:05, edited 4 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Setting to disable high contrast mode

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-31, 12:22

Are you using Windows 8/8.1? If so, it's a known problem with the different way Windows 8 handles/announces its high-contrast themes, that will be solved in v25.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2014-08-31, 20:52

OK, this is odd; I just tried a fresh browser copy and now Tom's Hardware is showing the slideshow images. It turns out NoSquint actually can partially function even when high contrast mode is enabled, in particular enabling any custom background color results in blacked-out graphs on the Tom's Hardware link.

However, the Polygon link still had the issue of the image slideshow being invisible.

For reference I'm on Windows 7 SP1.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-01, 07:39

It's also very well possible the website design in question is simply not taking high contrast into account, and making assumptions about "standard" colors being available regardless of theme.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2014-09-01, 07:43

Moonchild wrote:It's also very well possible the website design in question is simply not taking high contrast into account, and making assumptions about "standard" colors being available regardless of theme.
This is what I figured, which is why I was inquiring a way to disable the browser's high contrast mode.

And like I had stated in my other thread, contacting the website owners is kind of a given, but I don't think this will work in all cases.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-01, 10:29

I think if webmasters don't care about a good website available to everyone (or at least everyone in their target audience, I should say), they will simply lose visitors. So it's in their own interest.

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2014-09-06, 22:37

The ability to disable high-contrast mode in the browser is still a desirable feature. It's the reason I've been making custom builds of Pale Moon for myself.

FYI, the solution I've been using is https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=790706#c5 (I am in fact the one who made that comment.)

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2014-09-07, 04:49

Well shoot, you mean a solution actually has been created, but just not implemented?

I'm totally added that to the opening post.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: [Sept. 7 Update] Setting to disable high contrast mode

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-07, 06:01

Thanks for the bug link, and that really is trivial to implement so expect it in Pale Moon 25 ;)

@Mercury: good to know this has been tested and used already ;)
@NM64: The bug is marked "unconfirmed" so it's not worked on. Also, the suggestion was not submitted as a patch against trunk according to MozCo rules and layout, which would not get the bug moving either.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2014-09-07, 06:07

Moonchild wrote:Thanks for the bug link, and that really is trivial to implement so expect it in Pale Moon 25 ;)
Great, maybe now I'll finally get motivated to move my main PC's Firefox ESR profile over to Pale Moon. :P

...sort of off topic, but speaking of bug fixes, now that Pale Moon 25 is a legit Firefox fork, what defines a "Pale Moon specific bug"?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-07, 06:35

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote: ...sort of off topic, but speaking of bug fixes, now that Pale Moon 25 is a legit Firefox fork, what defines a "Pale Moon specific bug"?
Simple answer: A bug that actually apples to the browser.. Not plugins, not web sites that refuse to use proper UA detection and not because Firefox does it.. Anything that is strictly relating to the Product.. aka The browser. Also things that may have broken since 24.7.1

Moonchild will likely give a better explanation.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2014-09-07, 06:40

Hmm... ok, but what about something like a pre-existing bug in the browser engine? Before it'd be fixed when/if it got fixed in Firefox, but since Pale Moon 25 is an actual fork now, we can't exactly rely on porting over fixes from Firefox anymore...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-07, 07:23

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:Hmm... ok, but what about something like a pre-existing bug in the browser engine? Before it'd be fixed when/if it got fixed in Firefox, but since Pale Moon 25 is an actual fork now, we can't exactly rely on porting over fixes from Firefox anymore...
What do you think the whole process of "porting" comprises? It's not just applying a ready patch. That hasn't been possible for a while yet. So as long as the bugfix is relevant and applicable, if/when the old bug gets fixed in Firefox it will be ported across, if I'm aware of it. This is why involvement of the community is important since I can't possibly keep an eye on 1000s of new and old bugs every day. now please also don't take this as an excuse to dump any bug number you can find on me, since that's also something I can't address ;) Selectivity is inevitable.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2014-09-07, 07:30

Alright, so just to clarify, even though Pale Moon is now definitely a divergent fork from Firefox, I should still not post any Pale Moon 25 bugs that happen to also still existant in Firefox?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-07, 07:33

Pale Moon has been a fork for years now by most definitions but the scope of it's forkyness (is that a word?) has just expanded dramatically as of recent.

I think I explained it pretty well here: http://binaryoutcast.com/techcentral/editorials/binary-outcast-view-into-the-future-of-pale-moon/

Also, of course you can..

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2014-09-07, 07:35

Matt A Tobin wrote:Also, of course you can..
But if it also exists in Firefox, then wouldn't it not be a Pale Moon-specific bug? That's what I was inquiring about...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-07, 07:42

What i ment by "not because firefox does it" is more applicable to feature requests or differences in behavior. If there is a flaw in GRE or the front end (pre-australis of course) that was indeed solved by a MozCo bug then of course we would want to know that.. Use your best judgement.

I think Moonchild just didn't want any random slew of MozCo bugs being thrown at him left and right without rhyme or reason.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2014-09-07, 07:48

Matt A Tobin wrote:If there is a flaw in GRE or the front end (pre-australis of course) that was indeed solved by a MozCo bug then of course we would want to know that.
Well of course, then it'd be a bug that only exists in Pale Moon, or what I believed to be a "Pale Moon-specific bug". That seemed kind of obvious to me.

Less obvious were the bugs not solved MozCo...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-07, 08:25

GRE=Gecko Rendering Engine. That would apply to both and would not be a bug that only exists in Pale Moon. Those would need to be looked at individually.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2014-09-07, 08:37

Moonchild wrote:GRE=Gecko Rendering Engine. That would apply to both and would not be a bug that only exists in Pale Moon. Those would need to be looked at individually.
But if it gets fixed in Firefox then the bug only exists in Pale Moon at that point, no?

Anyway, let me see if I got this whole thing straight...

Report a bug when:
- Exists in Pale Moon, doesn't exist in Firefox
- Exists in Pale Moon, was fixed in Firefox
- Exists in Pale Moon and Firefox, fix created but not implemented in Firefox
- Exists on a webpage in a new version of Pale Moon but not in older versions, even with user agent spoofing

Don't report a bug when:
- Exists in completely other browers when user agent spoofing is used
- Exists only with specific plugins and/or extensions

Ask a magic genie whether to report a bug or not when:
- Exists in Pale Moon and Firefox, no fix has been created