Please add an inbuilt IP lookup tool

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
zapper

Please add an inbuilt IP lookup tool

Unread post by zapper » 2014-08-28, 15:40

I use the Flagfox addon. It tells me the IP address of the website I'm connected to, and provides a way to perform lookup. However i think that its time that palemoon should have this functionality inbuilt. Please add it. Thanks.

Jonguy30

Re: Please add an inbuilt IP lookup tool

Unread post by Jonguy30 » 2014-08-28, 16:41

Adding an IP address to the status bar wouldn't be bad. There is another lesser known web browser called "QupZilla" that has IP address in its status bar. It's displayed on the right side. The page loading status is on the left and IP address on the right. If there won't be an IP look up tool then at least this would be a nice thing to have.

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-08-28, 16:43

As far as this particular suggestion, I think a simple IP button or context menu item is a good one to consider. I would prefer a function that uses data already available to the browser in the normal page load process rather than retrieving it remotely from a third party site as many of the Flagfox options do.

If the topic of having more functions built in to the base code is open for real consideration then I'd like to add my own suggestions. But I've seen frequent comments that say they don't want stuff added to the browser. I'm more in favor of adding the really good useful ones to the base code. Old Opera did a pretty good job of integrating some basic functions that were only available for FireFox via addons - that was in fact part of Opera's design philosophy back then (not anymore!). What I don't want to see added by default is all the superficial baloney that many popular addons provide. Basically I want geek tweaks (integrated browser control) not bookmarks, social media or cellphone junk.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-08-28, 17:41

This would as many features of this kind be better addressed in the form of an extension and as stated there is such an animal already in existence. This suggestion while good has no real place in the core browser code.

(The power of choice, extensibility and all that.. You can make your browser, your way)

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-08-28, 17:51

Matt A Tobin wrote:This would as many features of this kind be better addressed in the form of an extension and as stated there is such an animal already in existence. This suggestion while good has no real place in the core browser code.

(The power of choice, extensibility and all that.. You can make your browser, your way)
I agree (don't let it go to your head Matt :lol: ). While this feature makes sense for advanced users, many other users may find it to superfluous and distracting. Then, someone would want it on the left instead of the right, different font color, etc., etc. That's why great features like this are best handled by extensions.

By-the-way, thanks for the tips on the existing extensions, I'll check them out!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-28, 18:23

There are many extensions out there that already give this functionality in different forms. Some with an added country flag like yours, some with detailed information (like WorldIP) that also list your own public IP and DNS info, etc. Different people will have a need for different levels of detail of server connections and networking information (and/or different needs for different devices) and most people wouldn't actually care. This is therefore best left in the realm of extensions and not in the core, leaving the choice up to the user.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-08-29, 17:15

Agree with Moonchild. You have this feature with your addon and not everyone need this.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-08-29, 21:58

I'm not an advanced or power user.

On my linux laptop where I experiment with different linux browsers, I have linux Pale Moon, linux Firefox ESR, linux SlimBoat and linux Qupzilla.

Using linux Qupzilla, I find the IP address in the far right of the Status Bar to be a distraction. Since I'm not an advanced or power user, showing me the IP address "does not do anything for me".
Off-topic:
So, I'm not in the camp where everyone has their favorite pet extension and which they think should be in the core of Pale Moon.

In other words, would I like to see my pet "NoSquint" extension, which allows 5% increments to raise or lower text and graphics for individual websites and have it remembered, incorporated into Pale Moon? My answer is "yes". But, if you ask me should it be incorporated into Pale Moon. My answer would be, "no".

There is no reason to "bloat the browser" for everyone's favorite extension/add-on. On this score, it means less work for Moonchild because I would not like to see Moonchild suffer "burn out" and have Pale Moon become extinct.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Parsifal

Unread post by Parsifal » 2014-08-29, 22:28

Wishing that one particular (or more) feature be built-in an application we very often use is natural among many of us, not to mention far too many developers IMO, either because they want to please everyone either because they fall in the "always more" syndrome.

I agree with the fact of remaining reasonable with this approach which is nothing but a road to bloated application. Add-ons have the mission of adding that extra feature we like. Imposing it to all is really not a good idea. A light, un-bloated and powerful browser as Pale Moon excels in code optimization and started its life by removing from Firefox several unnecessary loads. It's nice as it is, please never let this Maserati become a truck :)

EDIT : I must have a problem with transportation, yesterday I compared Pale Moon to an aircraft, then to a ship, now to a car (not any car!). Oh well .. maybe I don't move enough a this time... :)

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-08-29, 22:38

You really don't need NoSquint anymore. It used to be one of my "can't do without" extensions. But site specific text only zoom is available in PM/FF, just not as many features as NoSquint.

Your IP should mean something to everyone using the internet. It's just a string of numbers - you can easily learn to watch for undesired changes.

Bloat means either bad, unnecessary code or useless, unwanted, unrelated features. Putting useful functions in a program is not bloat.

On thing I think should be built in is the ability to show passwords - enabling it should be an option not even the default.

zapper

Unread post by zapper » 2014-08-30, 02:46

The argument of many people might not need it applies to a lot of things. For example, I don't need the little RSS button in the address bar. But its still there(i can't even remove it). So i just ignore it.

However this is definitely a feature that could be used by many people. I'm not asking for much, just a simple button that when clicked, brings up a balloon that shows my IP and the IP of the website open in the current tab. This shouldn't be too hard, right? ;) The button could be removed using the "Customize Toolbar" option, just like all the other buttons.

As far as normal users not being concerned about IP addresses, all normal people i know use Firefox or Google Chrome :P PaleMoon is almost exclusively used by power users.

Please consider my request once again. I'm not asking for much. Thanks!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-08-30, 02:59

zapper wrote:The argument of many people might not need it applies to a lot of things. For example, I don't need the little RSS button in the address bar. But its still there(i can't even remove it). So i just ignore it
Actually you can with Pale Moon Commander (User Interface -> General) or about:config (browser.urlbar.rss to false) :thumbup:

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-08-30, 06:47

Again: No.

Your addon works fine, so why bloat the browser code?

zapper

Unread post by zapper » 2014-08-30, 07:35

Matt A Tobin wrote:
zapper wrote:The argument of many people might not need it applies to a lot of things. For example, I don't need the little RSS button in the address bar. But its still there(i can't even remove it). So i just ignore it
Actually you can with Pale Moon Commander (User Interface -> General) or about:config (browser.urlbar.rss to false) :thumbup:
Thanks, i didn't know that.

zapper

Unread post by zapper » 2014-08-30, 07:39

dark_moon wrote:Again: No.

Your addon works fine, so why bloat the browser code?
Bloat the browser code? How many lines of code will you need to add for something as simple as this?

Anyways, thanks for listening!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-08-30, 07:52

As much as I hate having to repeat things that are elsewhere.. It isn't so much about the total lines of code.. While that is a contributing factor there are many other such factors that also must be taken into account. Such as: Implementation, Testing, Maintenance.

Implementing this as a core browser feature may end up being more difficult than how it is implemented in an addon.

Testing the functionality must be done on a regular basis even after initial implementation is done.

Maintenance of this feature in case code that it relies on changing then comes another round of testing.

So in the end we have a feature most people may not use having signicant time and resources devoted to instead of a fore mentioned time and resources being placed elsewhere such as improving stability, porting security fixes, updating core components, and improvements that help the browser across the board.

A number of people in this thread have spoken as well as the Creator and Lead Developer of the Pale Moon project himself and it has been decided that, while we appreciate your enthusiasm for Pale Moon, the feature you have suggested does not conform to the established criteria of what should be put into the browser by default.

Since a ready made solution in the form of an addon is available and you are currently using said addon, you already have the requested functionality present and it obviously satisfies your requirements. (Outside of the fact that you want it in the browser core by default)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-08-30, 10:52

mikeysc wrote:You really don't need NoSquint anymore. It used to be one of my "can't do without" extensions. But site specific text only zoom is available in PM/FF, just not as many features as NoSquint.
And it's those features in NoSquint is why I use it since they aren't in Pale Moon.
mikeysc wrote:Your IP should mean something to everyone using the internet. It's just a string of numbers - you can easily learn to watch for undesired changes.
I haven't yet got to the paranoid stage.
mikeysc wrote:Bloat means either bad, unnecessary code or useless, unwanted, unrelated features. Putting useful functions in a program is not bloat.
Makes me think just how many non technical people would use this IP feature and I think this feature would be unnecessary and useless for them. If I had to guess, I think the number of non technical people using this feature would be very, very, very small. Probably so small, the number would be insignificant. And if the number is insignificant, it just might be construed as bloat.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2014-08-30, 15:07

You really don't need NoSquint anymore. It used to be one of my "can't do without" extensions. But site specific text only zoom is available in PM/FF, just not as many features as NoSquint.
Actually, rather a lot of people I know use it to alter the colours, the current fad for grey text on a grey background is dreadfully hard on old eyes for instance.
Off-topic:
Speaking of which, in IE you can change the colours however you want, in Mozilla you seem to be rather limited in your choices, one way that IE has always been better, except you have to change things every time you open a page.