Finally, a fix for Firefox's "is already running" bug!

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Heartfelt

Finally, a fix for Firefox's "is already running" bug!

Unread post by Heartfelt » 2014-08-21, 17:24

This is something I have been upset about for years. I am so excited for it to potentially be gone. :clap: :thumbup: :D :!: :clap:

Come to think of it, I can't remember ever having had this issue after I switched to Pale Moon. Has it already been fixed in Pale Moon? If not, I assume it'll get the fix back-ported when it comes?

Heartfelt

Re: Finally, a fix for Firefox's "is already running" bug!

Unread post by Heartfelt » 2014-08-21, 18:38

Thank you, Matt. Looks like it's happening more quickly than I had assumed. :lol:

Jonguy30

Unread post by Jonguy30 » 2014-08-21, 18:51

From the above bugzilla link:
bugzilla wrote:Reported: 2005-03-15
So this has been known for about 10 years? I wonder if it was really that hard to fix it.

By the way, I haven't experienced this in PM either, at least I can't remember right now. But I do remember I encountered it in FF. What an annoyance.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-21, 20:49

It's not the only bug that has been sitting for 10 years while they played with bouncing unicorn code.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2014-08-24, 15:40

Moonchild wrote:It's not the only bug that has been sitting for 10 years while they played with bouncing unicorn code.
Yep, u rite.

Sleeping

Unread post by Sleeping » 2014-10-27, 15:19

Is there any plan to solve this while on a RDP session? :)

If I connect using the same user that is connect directly I can't run two instances of Pale Moon and I have to use Internet Explorer that can run. I hope I've explained it well, if not I can show some screenshots. :)

Heartfelt

Unread post by Heartfelt » 2014-10-27, 22:29

Interesting. I just ran into this for the first time ever in Pale Moon. I had thought it must have been dealt with.

Oh well. Still super happy with PM, of course. :thumbup: :D

Sleeping

Unread post by Sleeping » 2014-10-28, 14:46

Sleeping wrote:Is there any plan to solve this while on a RDP session? :)

If I connect using the same user that is connect directly I can't run two instances of Pale Moon and I have to use Internet Explorer that can run. I hope I've explained it well, if not I can show some screenshots. :)
This is the situation: the first is connected to a remote client and the one on the top is connected to the same remote user. And it cannot use pale moon, while both can use IE at the same time.

http://it.tinypic.com/r/ne9jqg/8

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-28, 15:08

This is by design.

To prevent profile corruption, Pale Moon requires profiles to be locked if they are in use by a user. Connecting 2 sessions to the same user profile at the same time does not work on the same Pale Moon browser profile as a result.

I'm also wondering why your Windows allows this and since when it is allowed - because as far as I know, Windows doesn't allow RDP connections to a user profile while still having it used locally at the same time (if you RDP connect, you will take over the active session remotely, not open a duplicate)

If you want to use Pale Moon remotely and locally at the same time on the same computer in the same Windows user account, you must use different Pale Moon profiles.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Sleeping

Unread post by Sleeping » 2014-10-29, 00:50

You're right, Moonchild.

Windows doesn't allow to connections (via console or via RDP to the very same user account), at least the standard edtitions, maybe the server editions do. I've forced it to do this and now I can connect whatever number of computers to the same user account and it works like a charm because I don't have to worry for different configurations, folder locations, etc. It would be very useful to use the same history and bookmarks without having to worry about profiles. But that's not a big deal :)

Anyway, how do you think IE can handle this? I didn't try other browsers, it would be interesting to see which can handle this unusual situation :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-29, 08:03

If you've forced it to do this, then you're not using Windows in the intended way. ;)
If you simply take over the active session (as intended) through RDP, then you also have all your user data available (as well as already-running programs, to boot). If it is a matter of wanting a clean desktop, then you should look into a virtual desktop manager, instead.

IE is probably handling this by simply not checking for this kind of thing at all. Since it uses a rather naive way of storing bookmarks and history, it's likely not that big of a problem unless you're unlucky enough to have two writes to the same file at the same time (one of the two will likely just be denied and IE may do unexpected things as a result, then). It's also possible that it's a bit more tolerant to this kind of thing since you're already running it as your shell, anyway.

Sleeping

Unread post by Sleeping » 2014-10-29, 10:09

Yes, of course, I know :) . If it works it's good. If it doesn't, it's good anyway :)
Anyway, on Windows Server it's possible to connect simultaneously, I've checked :)
For anyone wanting to try this for whatever reason, please follow the project page on github https://github.com/binarymaster/rdpwrap

I forced it to behave like this because I have one fairly powerful PC and two others (and sometimes more) connecting via RDP to this, also because they're quite old. This way all use the same settings, files, software, etc. And I take it as an experiment. Up to know it's working fairly well.

Thanks for your answers. It's always interesting :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-29, 12:52

Sleeping wrote:Anyway, on Windows Server it's possible to connect simultaneously, I've checked :)
But Pale Moon is not necessarily designed to be used on a server with concurrent identical terminal users :) That takes special workarounds or design, like having profiles separated on a per-session basis. Even then, in a server-based setup, you would normally want to use separate profiles and separate users where possible, since resynchronizing user data after concurrent multiple-session use of profiles is a whole can of worms in itself (for example: which data is going to be prioritized if both sessions have edited the same entry?...)

Sleeping

Unread post by Sleeping » 2014-10-29, 14:17

You're absolutely right. Anyway now I'm using Pale Moon as my main browser on all PC's, in this case I'll go on using IE or see if using two profiles isn't confusing for my parents...

PS: "A can of worms"! What a nice expression, I didn't know it :)

Sleeping

Unread post by Sleeping » 2014-10-29, 14:24

Could you please tell me how I can use two profiles? In this case I could use Pale Moon on both PC's using the same windows user account and use Sync to synchronize the bookmarks? Am I right? Thanks :)

Sleeping

Unread post by Sleeping » 2014-11-04, 19:46

Thanks, dark_moon, I'll take a look on it :)

Sleeping

Unread post by Sleeping » 2014-11-04, 23:24

What if I used two different profiles, but I synchronize them using Pale Moon Sync?