CCleaner and Pale Moon 25

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
vnoga

CCleaner and Pale Moon 25

Unread post by vnoga » 2014-08-19, 16:58

Currently CCleaner cleans Pale Moon just as if it were Firefox. When you update PM to version 25 will CCleaner still work the same? If not, can you work it out to do so? Maybe you will need to contact CCleaner.

Parsifal

Re: CCleaner and Pale Moon 25

Unread post by Parsifal » 2014-08-19, 17:14

Interesting. In the same way I have Pale Moon recognized by the SpywareBlaster application. Interesting topic as for the implications of browser recognition by 3d party applications.

fred8615

Unread post by fred8615 » 2014-08-19, 17:22

It does Cyberfox as a separate program from FF, so it shouldn't be to hard to get them to add PM.

Parsifal

Unread post by Parsifal » 2014-08-19, 17:31

fred8615 wrote:It does Cyberfox as a separate program from FF, so it shouldn't be to hard to get them to add PM.
OK. Nice to know. But are you sure Cyberfox has its own GUID ?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-19, 17:50

Most of these programs (if not all of them) just use known profile locations - they won't even look at the GUID.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vnoga

Unread post by vnoga » 2014-08-19, 18:11

Moonchild wrote:Most of these programs (if not all of them) just use known profile locations - they won't even look at the GUID.
So are you saying CCleaner will still work with PM 25?

Parsifal

Unread post by Parsifal » 2014-08-19, 18:16

Moonchild wrote:Most of these programs (if not all of them) just use known profile locations - they won't even look at the GUID.
I didn't know that. You learn every day. Well, those programs will just carry on with Pale Moon 25+ if that's the scope. Great.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-08-19, 21:26

vnoga wrote:
So are you saying CCleaner will still work with PM 25?
Sure, because the profile location won't move.

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2014-08-22, 09:41

x-15a2 wrote:Sure, because the profile location won't move.
That is not a question of simply the profile location but also the cache location: CCleaner v4.08.4428 (25 Nov 2013) "Added Firefox 27 new cache location cleaning." I hope contrary to some add-ons like for ex Eraser or Empty Cache Button, the new versions of CCleaner will continue with FF to work properly with the old cache and not only with the new cache V2 ...
That's why i asked for Pale Moon what it was envisaged about this new cache http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5214.

Edit (wrong post author for the second quote)
Last edited by buggy on 2014-08-22, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

Parsifal

Unread post by Parsifal » 2014-08-22, 10:59

As far as I remember I think Moonchild is not in favor of this new cache V2 ...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-22, 22:50

I can confirm parsifal's statement; cache v2 is not something that is on the list if things to implement, since v1 works just fine, and is tried&tested.
In addition, the v2 cache, when looking at metrics for performance is terribly underwhelming and has additionally spawned a lot of new bugs. I see no reason to include incomplete or experimental routines when they provide no significant benefit and are wrought with issues.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite