Check for Updates

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
SunRise

Check for Updates

Unread post by SunRise » 2014-08-06, 21:44

Check For Updates (about window)
When you click the button 'Check for Updates', in the About window, it starts downloading 'some version' of the browser, a process which you can't abort, and then prompts you with 'Update Now'. If you don't take any action, the next time you start Palemoon you will have the latest version installed, even if you don't click 'Update now'.

I wonder how much checking is in this checking. Either the button should be renamed to 'Install (any) Update' or the behaviour should be changed. Futhermore what version am I installing, where is the information?

I know I am from a dying breed, but I would love the see behaviour like this:
Check for Upgrade > [checking] > There is a new version, do you wish to install? > Yes or No.
Perhaps the question could come with a small window with the changelog.

Check for Updates (Extensions)
The same issue with checking for updates for Extensions. Again Palemoon downloads every (some) new version of an Extension and if I don't take any action, the next time all my plugins will be updated. Really, all I wanted was to check for an update for one of my extensions. Fortunately, you can click 'Undo' to make sure they are not installed. But... you have to take notice of the green arrow at the left panel. There are updates there as well. You have to undo them too.

I would prefer the reverse way of what is happening now. List any new version of the extensions. Let the user click the ones he want to install and then restart the browser.

My point
I know that these days the common way is just to install about any new version of any piece of software that is out there with out checking anything just for convenience. With the statement that newer must be better. I DO want to know what I am installing. I DO want to check what I am installing. I DO want to install ONLY what I really need. As for a while now, I consider the 'Check for Updates' button in Palemoon one of the most dangerous buttons in my list of programs I have.

My regret
I really do hate to make this post. I love my Palemoon browser and I love what Moonchild is doing with and to FireFox. This post is not in anyway a personal attack on Moonchild and/or Palemoon, but rather a post of how to make Palemoon better.

Note
If you accidentally happen to 'Check for Updates' and you want to undo it. Close the browser and go to the two following folders on your harddisk or SSD and empty its contents:
[drive letter]:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Pale Moon\updates\
[drive letter]:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\[id].default\extensions\staged\

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Check for Updates

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-06, 22:53

Checking from the about box has already been changed in 24.7.0
it will no longer download anything from the about box directly when checking for updates. I'm not sure why you made this post, since it's already been changed ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SunRise

Unread post by SunRise » 2014-08-07, 08:42

Moonchild wrote:Checking from the about box has already been changed in 24.7.0
it will no longer download anything from the about box directly when checking for updates. I'm not sure why you made this post, since it's already been changed ;)
Hi Moonchild,
I'm coming from version 24.6.2. I do not update everytime there is a new version. I did search the forum and found only one post related to Check for Updates. As it was irrelevant I thought I would post my request. Sorry if this upsets you. After your post I immediately updated to the latest version, 24.7.1. Waiting for the next update to give it a test. As for the Extensions. That has not changed. My hope is you will consider changing it.

Pedro

Unread post by Pedro » 2014-08-07, 09:06

Hi Moonchild
Moonchild wrote:Checking from the about box has already been changed in 24.7.0
it will no longer download anything from the about box directly when checking for updates.
Noticed this today when I used 24.7.0 to check for the 24.7.1 update!

Passed by the forum deliberately just to THANK YOU for listening to the users !

KUDOS to you!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-07, 09:23

SunRise wrote:Sorry if this upsets you. After your post I immediately updated to the latest version, 24.7.1. Waiting for the next update to give it a test. As for the Extensions. That has not changed. My hope is you will consider changing it.
It doesn't upset me :) - it just confused me a little since I had already changed it, and wondered if there was a bug in it? 24.6.2 did not have this change yet, so yes, as expected.
Its been a request by a few people and I've changed this behavior as a result.

As for the add-ons, I've set the default back to automatically check for and update them a while back because there were too many support requests from people caused by outdated extensions. If you don't want to update extensions automatically, click the gear in your add-on manager and switch off automatic checking there.
addon-updates.png
addon-updates.png (16.27 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

opera1217b1863

Unread post by opera1217b1863 » 2014-08-07, 13:13

PM v27.7.0 here.
I press the "Check for Updates" button and it reports: "Update available! Apply Update...".
Pressing on the latter gives me a screen with a update version number and a choice of two options: "Ask later" and "Get the New Version".

I know, it is a nitpicking, but changing the "Update available! Apply Update..." into "Update available! More info..." would be more logical.
:)

PS
Please consider the LUA environment: the "Get the New Version" button should check for the necessary administrative rights first. If one is LUA - it (the button) should download an update (for later manual installation) rather than trying to patch a write-protected/SRP-restricted system folder contents.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-07, 13:43

LUA users should not try to update the browser to begin with. The updater will ask for permission to elevate rights, as well - if that is not possible in the account because of administrator imposed restrictions, then an upgrade failure is expected.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2014-08-07, 14:05

So if one does not have admin rights, then the update will not follow? Does this apply to my plugins or extensions? Is there a way to override this somehow??
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Pedro

Unread post by Pedro » 2014-08-07, 15:47

opera1217b1863 wrote: I know, it is a nitpicking, but changing the "Update available! Apply Update..." into "Update available! More info..." would be more logical.
:)
+1
Good point. In fact clicking on the button does not Apply the update. It leads to a new dialog where you click on "Get the New Version" which in fact should be "Get and Install the New Version" (since Get only implies download...)

As user opera1217b1863 referred this is "nitpicking", but it is also probably an easy change...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-07, 16:35

"More info" wouldn't be correct either, since the window doesn't supply more info. It is the interface to (download and) apply an update. Also "info" is shorthand. "information" would make it too long. So -1 on that. ;)

SunRise

Unread post by SunRise » 2014-08-07, 22:01

Moonchild wrote:...As for the add-ons, I've set the default back to automatically check for and update them a while back because there were too many support requests from people caused by outdated extensions. If you don't want to update extensions automatically, click the gear in your add-on manager and switch off automatic checking there.
I'm not talking about Auto Update. I assume that will work fine. I am not pushed by whatever default behaviour you set it to. I never use any form of Auto Update, other than reporting a new version or updates are available, if possible. As I wrote in the topic start, I like to know what is being or will be installed.

Click for Updates for Extensions has the following behaviour, just tested with 24.7.1:
Check for Updates > Check & Download > Report ready to install > Close Browser means installation of Extensions
and I would prefer it to be:
Check for Updates > New updates available > User selects > Download selection > Close Browser to install

I've looked in the about:config for options related to the way the Browser checks, downloads and installs updates. I was hoping I overlooked something. I did not. All I can hope for is that you will consider the behaviour of updating the Extensions, even just a little bit like adding a button to 'Undo All'. That alone would be very helpful.

Still, I am already very happy with the new behaviour of the About window. That rocks!

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2015-01-30, 17:00

A simple extra choice of something like "Don't renotify for this update" would be better than only offering Ask Later - I hate update notices where ask later is the only choice.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2015-01-30, 17:09

I disagree. A not up2date browser is a security hole and why in hell need you a setting which let you ignore a update? But you can disable the update check in settings anyway. (Not! recommend!)

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2015-01-30, 17:28

IMO: It is the only correct way to present an update notice, period. It's common sense as well as common courtesy. But it's Moonchild's project and he will do what he wants, period.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-01-30, 21:15

I'll make it a practice to have a "no thanks" button on updates, which will not ask again for the same version you have declined to install. I started doing this for XP users who are now offered the Atom/XP version by default.