MSE support

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Sleeping

Re: MSE support

Unread post by Sleeping » 2014-11-02, 12:08

Good explanation :)

But why did Google choose something so stupid? Wouldn't it be easier also for them to stream directly in html5?

Jonguy30

Unread post by Jonguy30 » 2014-11-02, 12:15

They could have chosen to stream html5 directly, but they chose not to. They prefer to lock users instead. Big corporations love closed formats and DRM.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2014-11-02, 13:07

Sleeping wrote:Good explanation :)

But why did Google choose something so stupid? Wouldn't it be easier also for them to stream directly in html5?
Making it way harder for users of other browsers, there is the chance that these lose patience and moving on to Chrome. That is what Google is hoping for. Doing also everything possible that other browser developers discard their strength aka customization (both Opera and Firefox have thrown that away already).

Google is no company which loves fair play!

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-11-02, 14:00

This is the best time for other video portals to make it better and support all browsers without DRM or something like that.
Anyone knows a good alternative for youtube?

Jonguy30

Unread post by Jonguy30 » 2014-11-02, 14:29

Sadly there are no others I know of. Most others place stupid restrictions on their services, be it what kind of videos are allowed (e.g Vimeo doesn't allow gaming content for example), or they restrict access and "encourage" you to buy a premium subscription. And other alternatives are simply bad. I wish there was an alternative, but it doesn't look like it.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2014-11-02, 14:49

Vimeo is the best alternative choice out there, but sadly it's only utilized by bands and documentary film makers from what little i know. nothing comes even close to the amount of content YouTube has to offer. it's so entrenched as the de facto standard video sharing service that i cannot fathom anybody moving away from it unless a catastrophic collapse happens (it won't)

Jonguy30

Unread post by Jonguy30 » 2014-11-02, 15:39

Well, there was this whole automatic copyright claims debacle that hit multiple videos on a massive scale. But it seems to have settled. Too bad it didn't make people move away from youtube, or create another alternative.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2014-11-03, 06:26

Moonchild wrote:Similarly, MSE video is sent to your browser through specific Javascript APIs (MSE is a method that allows Javascript to download media data, manipulate it, and then feed it to the video decoder/renderer). If the APIs aren't present, then the Javascript code can't feed the media data to the video renderer (because that requires the MSE API). Since Google only serves the relevant videos in "MSE container" formats (through Javascript and not as regular bitstreamed data directly), the media data can't be played since the browser doesn't have the tools to pass the data from the way it's served to the actual playback routines. i.e.: you could possibly "trick" the site into making it think you support MSE, but you would still not be able to play it in the browser unless MSE is actually supported.
Wait, then how the heck is something like CompleteYouTubeSaver, which is nothing more than a Pale Moon-compatible Firefox extension, able to access the MSE video streams?:
http://www.cys-audiovideodownloader.com/

Heck Pale Moon can in fact even play back those MSE video streams while they're still downloading (though only for WebM).

And FYI, FFMPEG is only required if you want the video and audio streams combined into a single file, which is actually not necessary for Matroska and therefore WebM playback (see: MPC-HC). However, there seems to currently be a bug in CYS where it only downloads the video stream (rather than both the video and audio stream into separate files) if FFMPEG is not present.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-03, 09:39

If CYS is able to access the video streams then that shows you even clearer that MSE is not required for these streams, since the data is not manipulated before it is fed to the video playback parts. So, YouTube MSE is an arbitrary "delivery vessel" method but just passes on the video and audio data unaltered. CYS can access the data if it monitors the connections initiated or even just analyzes the URLs present in the generated JS snippets for MSE delivery (the URLs will simply be present in the MSE player on YouTube, in the page source, in that case).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2014-11-03, 09:46

Well then i would imagine that someone could look into how CYS is doing it and make a new extension or userscript or something to access the VP9/WebM formats for direct playback in the YouTube player.

However, is Pale Moon even capable of playing back and syncronizing separated video and audio streams?

cooperb21

Unread post by cooperb21 » 2014-12-08, 03:10

Eventually you will need mse to many things require it unless you want to limit users of your browser.

Netflix is very soon going to drop Silver light and you html5/mse and youtube playback at 60fps needs it.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2014-12-08, 11:45

how more often it is necessary to tell you the same things over and over again... Moonchild thinks this feature is not ready to implement yet. DRM will never come to Pale Moon as it seems not fitting into the philosophy, i guess there helps no begging and demanding, DRM will NOT come into Pale Moon.

And it was also stated over and over AGAIN that it is NO SURE THING that MSE is coming into the browser, even if it would be finished at some point. Hell, there is some new browser developed which refuses to even add video functionality inside the browser because the dev there thinks that a broswer is only be made for browsing, not for multimedia application stuff. Have read that at the Otter-Browser gith (no, it is not Otter, but a browser which was mentioned there).

Why you do not install Seamonkey as secondary browser! You can't expect that EVERY browser adds the same features, different developers, different strategy, different philosophy! Again... If you, me, any other user DO NOT LIKE THIS philosophy or strategy, feel free to move on.

But for heavens sake, stop constantly asking for the same over and over and over and over again - this gets a bit annoying!

cooperb21

Unread post by cooperb21 » 2014-12-09, 03:11

Sajadi wrote:how more often it is necessary to tell you the same things over and over again... Moonchild thinks this feature is not ready to implement yet. DRM will never come to Pale Moon as it seems not fitting into the philosophy, i guess there helps no begging and demanding, DRM will NOT come into Pale Moon.

And it was also stated over and over AGAIN that it is NO SURE THING that MSE is coming into the browser, even if it would be finished at some point. Hell, there is some new browser developed which refuses to even add video functionality inside the browser because the dev there thinks that a broswer is only be made for browsing, not for multimedia application stuff. Have read that at the Otter-Browser gith (no, it is not Otter, but a browser which was mentioned there).

Why you do not install Seamonkey as secondary browser! You can't expect that EVERY browser adds the same features, different developers, different strategy, different philosophy! Again... If you, me, any other user DO NOT LIKE THIS philosophy or strategy, feel free to move on.

But for heavens sake, stop constantly asking for the same over and over and over and over again - this gets a bit annoying!
Yes i realize that now ill just move on to other things.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-12-09, 05:25

My response is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6368&p=44052#p44052

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-12-09, 11:43

I'm just going to lock both threads at this point, to prevent people who do not take the time to read to ask/complain about the same thing in the same way.

Please take a moment to read the discussion in this thread and the "60fps in youtube" thread before posting more on this subject. Thanks.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite