Pale Moon Launchpad

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
mikeysc

Pale Moon Launchpad

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-07-18, 01:07

All the discussion about loading up the browser with all the neat extensions out there gave me an idea. What about a second or separate instance of Pale Moon with a special profile or special options to use to run all the nifty addons that we find that don't necessarily have to be cluttering up the browser (not the ones like NoScript and Adblock that need to integrated). Opera was kind of headed in this direction back around ver 10 with their widgets. And I don't see it taking a lot of modification of the code, if any, just more space for installing the little guys. Right now I think that means it has to be on a toolbar so we'd need more and/or bigger toolbars. Maybe with some extra code the addons can be loaded in something like a speed dial tab. In fact if they could be in a tabbed speed dial type page, then a separate instance of the browser would not be necessary. Still might be desirable to avoid crashing or slowing down your main internet browser though. I might begin by just trying to set up a separate profile where I save as much toolbar space as possible for all the gadgets I want to "add on". (If Launchpad is taken (c) or not suitable, another name could Pale Moon Landing, but Launch fits better.)

Supernova

Re: Pale Moon Launchpad

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-07-18, 04:07

Is your idea to have the ability to launch from the same installation differents add-ons sets (you would choose) but still sharing other parts (so not using different profiles) ?
The idea, and its interest, are still not clear for me.

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-07-18, 06:51

If my post was anywhere near as incomprehensible to others as your reply is to me, then I guess the boat sailed before the captain boarded.

Actually, I'm having fun setting up an alternate installation and loading it up w/ addons I would not normally be willing to add. But this is not something that would make it easy for other people to do. That will take more time and thought. And probably help from others.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-07-18, 14:32

Using profiles and running them in separate instances could be more user friendlier, but it is possible.

The idea of this addon to add profile management inside browser is interesting, although it's australis only:
Profilist

How about something similar for PM? :)

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2014-07-19, 03:38

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-07-19, 15:05

Well... since PM Portable wasn't configured by default the way I wanted it in this case, I installed FF 24 ESR to play with. I created a profile manually with the -P switch. And I created a shortcut pointing to that profile. It works fine except there seems to be a bit of a bugaboo when doing restart. It will restart using the same profile, extensions match, but sometimes the opened tab pages are blank, and sometimes that includes Add ons. At first I thought I had to restart with addons disabled, but I found out all I had to do was exit, then start it with the shortcut and everything is fine. I'm still working on it but have become sidetracked with other things. I think whatever I setup for FF24ESR should be easy to transfer to PM/PMport, maybe w/o any alteration at all but I don't know yet.

I have installed ProfileSwitcher too but so far I am not sure how I will use it. I haven't tested yet to see if the restart bugaboo happens using ProfileSwitcher also.

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-07-19, 20:37

Not good news for ProfileSwitcher. It changed the default profile for FF30 as well, in which it is not even installed. I'm trying to find where the change was made but so far no file or registration entry found. If anybody knows where this might be set, I'd appreciate a tip.

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2014-07-20, 02:58

Just tested ProfileSwitcher with PM 24.6.2 (x86) & FF 24.6.0 ESR, it works fine, not seen any FF30 profile.
As i do not understand the problem you can try to contact the dev: kaosmos@nic-nac-project.org