HTTP Referer control: Firefox extra settings

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

HTTP Referer control: Firefox extra settings

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-07-09, 15:48

Hey everyone, looking for a 'lightweight' way (no firewall/add-ons) to partially block HTTP referers. Blocking them entirely is mostly ok but some sites will break. Found out here that since FF28 there are about:config options that can customize blocking referers a bit - allowing them for the same domain for example. Any chance we could see these on Pale Moon?
Last edited by back2themoon on 2014-07-09, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: HTTP Referer control Firefox extra settings

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-07-09, 15:56

Interesting.. Those seem to be for changes in the backend component /netwerk.. I can say this.. If vNext research gets put into practice and the esr31 codebase proves to actually be stable and provides a good base for the future of Pale Moon we SHOULD get this automagically.

As for the current actually working codebase (esr24 base) Pale Moon is currently based on, it looks like the patch wouldn't be that hard to implement but as you may know testing would have to be done to make sure this doesn't compromise any functionality and evaluated if it would be desirable to have right now. Obviously this will be something Moonchild will have to look into.

For the record I am kind of in favor of these and MAYBE we could get some GUI options, if implemented, in PM Commander.

Bug 822869
m-c commit e544d028da74

Supernova

Re: HTTP Referer control: Firefox extra settings

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-07-09, 16:38

It looks interesting. I already set a custom value for referer but having a better control on that (allowing to breaking less sites) would be a good change imho.
Some GUI options in PM commander, as you suggested matt, would also definitely be convenient. :D

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2014-07-09, 17:08

Give RefControl a shot! ;) Fantastic add-on!

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-07-09, 23:55

Thanks KNTRO, installed Referrer Control but RefControl seems easier to use with specific-site settings.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-10, 00:30

I'm implementing the basic referer granularity settings in Pale Moon for 24.7 - You'll still want an extension for per-site control since that would go beyond what I consider needed in the core and would be too fine-grained for the average user.

PMC will have UI options for these new settings.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

opera1215b1748

Unread post by opera1215b1748 » 2014-07-10, 07:46

Moonchild wrote:PMC will have UI options for these new settings.
Good!

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2014-07-29, 15:21

Thanks a lot for adding these Moonchild. About network.http.referer.XOriginPolicy, is the '1' setting stricter than '2' or have I got it wrong? When the value is 2, then subdomains are "allowed" and referers are sent? Bit confused with the terms "base domains" and "hosts" on the release notes.