More restrictive display for Show Password

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
stevekj

More restrictive display for Show Password

Unread post by stevekj » 2014-07-09, 14:38

Under Security, Saved Passwords, there's the option for Show Password.

Please add option for Show Password to only show passwords for ONE site at a time, if that's how the user wants it.

Some systems are being monitored by TEMPEST emissions, and showing all the passwords is too much.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: More restrictive display for Show Password

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-09, 21:46

If you are referring to this then you're worrying too much. The display of passwords occurs on your local system only, and emissions falling under TEMPEST won't be leaving your system (unless you are remote administering your desktop, but that is what you have encrypted RDP connections for).

If you're worried about visual spying, then I suggest you filter the list of sites first (using the search box) before clicking "show passwords" -- of course I also always strongly suggest you enter a master password to encrypt your passwords.

The password manager does not work in such a way that you can selectively unhide a single password - it's not designed that way. It is assumed that if you are in a location safe to display a single password, then it should be safe to display all of them.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

stevekj

Unread post by stevekj » 2014-07-09, 21:54

The search function worked fine.
Thanks.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2014-07-09, 21:59

Off-topic:
Wow, that takes me back. My first computer related job (1980) was building TEMPEST class word processors and printers for the now defunct CPT corporation. Those were better days than I realized at the time, thanks for the reminder!
Last edited by x-15a2 on 2014-07-10, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2014-07-10, 04:23

You can always Copy the password without it displaying at all using the right-click menu.