[SOLVED] Please integrate Flash or at least a PDF viewer!

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

[SOLVED] Please integrate Flash or at least a PDF viewer!

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2014-06-09, 06:49

I don't know why you guys advertise that Pale Moon is lightweight and uses a small amount ram than FF, when I have to install a separate Flash plugin and a PDF Program that uses about the same amount when I had FF! So can you guys please think about adding it in.

-PS: sorry if I sound rude :)
Last edited by LimboSlam on 2014-07-11, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Please integrate Flash or at least a PDF viewer!

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-09, 08:32

You can enable the limited PDF viewer by using Pale Moon Commander (It's under Misc.)
Note that I say "limited" since it's not good at displaying anything but basic documents (you will still need an external viewer for more complex ones) and I won't support any issues with it.

Integrate Flash? No can do. Adobe won't allow it, and I don't want to toss proprietary closed source plugins into the mix with an otherwise fully FOSS product.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-06-09, 08:37

Note that firefox too need a separate flash installation (and MC said part of why) - you can't in any way say PM behave differently on this side. Plus, in term of performance, having it bundled into the browser as in say google chrome or used via a plugin isn't different - not an issue.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2014-06-09, 17:39

Ok, thanks for the feedback.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2014-06-09, 18:44

Moonchild wrote:Integrate Flash? No can do.
Well, there's the Shumway extension, but it is still in a very preliminary state...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-09, 20:04

dinosaur wrote:
Moonchild wrote:Integrate Flash? No can do.
Well, there's the Shumway extension, but it is still in a very preliminary state...
Shumway is unfortunately very much a proof of concept experiment and simply won't do.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2014-06-09, 23:58

Speaking of concepts, there's No Flash too. Don't expect however this to be the universal Panacea, :( but you can always help to improve this add-on. :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-10, 08:16

KNTRO wrote:Speaking of concepts, there's No Flash too. Don't expect however this to be the universal Panacea, :( but you can always help to improve this add-on. :thumbup:
It's a nice idea - if your usage of flash is purely for watching videos from the big streaming sites that also offer HTML5 encoded equivalents. It's not a flash replacement though, but at least interesting.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2014-06-26, 05:19

This No Flash is perfect :thumbup: but I'll have to use my iPod for my Pandora.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-06-28, 08:56

So please add the topic a [solved] at the beginning.

mikeysc

Re: [SOLVED] Please integrate Flash or at least a PDF viewer

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-07-15, 20:43

It may be solved, and mine is mostly working fine, but I'm still a bit befuddled about tweaking all the settings.

First, PDF. I have disabled Adobe Reader Plugin (set to "Never Activate"). I have the Mozilla Labs PDF Viewer extension installed. And have "Preview in Pale Moon" set in Options. I think this works OK and when it doesn't I just save the file and open it outside of the browser. But my question is, is the extension necessary to take advantage of the built in capability?

For Flash, I tried setting it to never activate but there are sites that still only do Flash, like NWS radar, so I had to set it to "Ask to Activate". I have the "Video Without Flash" extension installed, and it works OK on youtube. I have noticed there is a Flash not working notice loaded before the HTML5 player loads, not elegant but OK. I assume the extension is necessary, but I wonder if the browser can be somehow set to try the HTML5 player before trying Flash. In other words, can Flash be a fallback, second choice; or is that up to the site?

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2014-07-15, 21:20

mikeysc wrote: For Flash, I tried setting it to never activate but there are sites that still only do Flash, like NWS radar, so I had to set it to "Ask to Activate". I have the "Video Without Flash" extension installed, and it works OK on youtube. I have noticed there is a Flash not working notice loaded before the HTML5 player loads, not elegant but OK. I assume the extension is necessary, but I wonder if the browser can be somehow set to try the HTML5 player before trying Flash. In other words, can Flash be a fallback, second choice; or is that up to the site?
As for YouTube & HTML5 video player respect, you need no add-on at all. Simply visit this YT webpage and set the HTML5 player as your default YT player.

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-07-15, 21:58

Thanks but I can't tell how that works (I clicked the button but didn't see anything happen*). I do not have an account to login to (don't want a Google account). And cookies are not saved permanently by choice (I would make an exception for one particular configuration cookie if that's possible, but I will not give this site unlimited access to tracking cookies). FWIW, I prefer a user selected setting in the browser.

* Now Youtube is using Flash!!

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-07-16, 19:03

I got the HTML5 player working on YT again. And I found that without the PDF Viewer, the file is just downloaded. But the internal viewer feels lighter (loads quicker) than Adobe so it's worth one extra addon to enable it. :thumbup:

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-07-16, 20:17

I generally download the .pdf document I encounter with Tor ; however when I encounter some with Pale Moon I have the Sumatra PDF plugin : as the external viewer ; it renders documents well and quickly. You may want to try it.