Adding fully functional keyboard shortcut editor to PM

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
opera1217b1863

Re: Adding fully functional keyboard shortcut editor to PM

Unread post by opera1217b1863 » 2014-07-29, 10:16

Moonchild wrote:...The average browser user would also not need this, putting this request in a relatively small user base.
"An average user" may not need to display, say, Cyrillics in a page, so what?
Will one not implement the proper support for all standardised international character sets, saying "Go code your own add-on for that!"?!

I said before, I'll repeat again: there is a barest minimum of features that MUST be built-in.
As of now both FF and PM lack many of those features.

If PM is positioned as a browser "more customisable than FF" - a shortcut editor would come VERY handy.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-29, 10:56

opera1217b1863 wrote:-1
"An average user" may not need to display, say, Cyrillics in a page, so what?
Will one not implement the proper support for all standardised international character sets, saying "Go code your own add-on for that!"?!
You know, that's something you can't compare. Completely different situations and a bad comparison.

Not displaying cyrillic characters is a problem as it prevents people from using the browser for what it is designed.
Not having an editor for shortcuts does NOT prevent people from using the browser for what it is designed. Not having shortcuts at all might hamper some people, but Pale Moon has shortcuts already. They are just not easily configurable (and not configurable in the browser core).

To keep your analogy, it's like asking us to implement a font editor so you can design your own cyrillic letters to display. Would that have a place in the core? Nope.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

opera1217b1863

Unread post by opera1217b1863 » 2014-07-29, 14:55

Moonchild wrote:...They are just not easily configurable (and not configurable in the browser core)...
I know, my analogy is a bit stretchy, but it is so because PM itself is not for unwashed masses. PM users use PM for its' customisability in the first place.

I, as someone who can compare, am not very much impressed about the actual level of customisability in PM. No insults intended. It is just a heavy legacy of FF which was over-hyped by those who never used a truly customisable browser.

I clearly understand that the task at your hands is serious/difficult indeed, that's why I hope you'll have it (proper custimisability) on your list - when more imminent problems of australisation for the next ESR would be solved.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-29, 17:32

opera1217b1863 wrote:I, as someone who can compare, am not very much impressed about the actual level of customisability in PM. No insults intended.
I assume you're comparing it with Opera-presto (12, was it?)? I think all in all PM has more customization options than Opera ever had, they are just different kinds of customizations. And I know you probably don't want to hear this but using extensions is part of the customization design of Pale Moon. It doesn't have everything in the core and shouldn't have everything in the core because extensions exist.

I could also say "patches welcome" if people think it's essential enough to implement in the core, but I personally think not, and think the effort would be better spent on making or perfecting a hotkey extension.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-07-29, 19:00

Someone could pick up the development of the mentioned addon in op and fix it for PM for what ever reason it is not working. It looked very complete keyboard shortcut editor to me.

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2016-09-05, 01:07

I was browsing in the PM forum and found this thread. There once was a fantastic shortcut extension called "keyconfig", but it fell into obsolescence. Fortunately, someone has picked up where the old author left off, and the updated extension is available as Dorando keyconfig. I don't find it quite as robust as the original. But it is fairly rich with shortcuts and features, including the ability to create custom shortcuts from scratch, and it seems to work flawlessly with PM 26.4/Win.

I find that if I use a combination of Menu Wizard, already mentioned in this thread, and keyconfig, I am able to alter almost all of the shortcuts that matter to me. Perhaps others will find these similarly useful.

Best regards,

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2016-09-05, 04:07

Just thought I would let folks know that I am using keyconfig 20110522 http://mozilla.dorando.at/keyconfig.xpi

and it works perfect in 26.4.0 :thumbup:

And the author has this to say about upgrading from an older version.
Directions to upgrade to this addon:

If you have a version of this addon prior to 20110522, upgrade to that version first. Upgrades from earlier versions may lose your key assignments..
Install "Dorando keyconfig."
BEFORE RESTARTING, uninstall any other versions of KeyConfig.
Restart Firefox/Thunderbird/Seamonkey
Open the config window (see above) to make sure your keybindings made it to the new addon.

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2016-09-27, 21:59

@ Thehandyman1957
Thank you for the tip :)

Palemoon V26.4.1 blocks keyconfig 20110522 ... but recognises Dorando KeyConfig 2016.2
Win-7 PRO 64-bit
Palemoon; auto updates current version (32-bit)

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Toa-Nuva » 2016-09-28, 01:07

bawldiggle wrote:Palemoon V26.4.1 blocks keyconfig 20110522 ...
It works perfectly fine for me on PM 26.4.1. I've been using this extension for several years and I've never had any problems.

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2016-10-01, 05:58

@ Toa-Nuva

PM 26.4.1 blocked installing keyconfig 20110522 on 28-Sept-2016, 3 days ago
- I mentioned my success with installing and using Dorando KeyConfig 2016.2 in case somebody else is tearing their hair out ...
... because keyconfig 20110522 does not install for them, as it didn't for me 3 days ago.

*** keyconfig 20110522 ... is 5½ years older than ... Dorando KeyConfig 2016.2
Win-7 PRO 64-bit
Palemoon; auto updates current version (32-bit)

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Toa-Nuva » 2016-10-01, 08:58

bawldiggle wrote:- I mentioned my success with installing and using Dorando KeyConfig 2016.2 in case somebody else is tearing their hair out ...
... because keyconfig 20110522 does not install for them, as it didn't for me 3 days ago.
Fair enough. ;)

For the record, I don't experience any issues installing this addon in a new profile (I'm still on 26.4.1). No clue why it wasn't working for you.