Integrate ad blocking into Pale Moon

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Integrate ad blocking into Pale Moon

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-05-24, 03:52

Moonchild wrote:
dark_moon wrote:And including an adblocker can have make more problems.
For example if a website check which browser use the user. Maybe the website block then content for this browser, because they now all user of this browser didn't bring them money.
Actually, good point as well. sites may start boycotting Pale Moon for undermining their business.
Uhh...
mattatobin wrote: Would it be convenient? Yes. Would it cause a backlash that could undermine the legitimacy of Pale Moon as a true contender in the market? Yes. Would if Pale Moon saw significant market share cause the ad providers to be even more aggressive in defeating ad blockers? Yes. You could see sites in response even blacklist Pale Moon or any browser that blocks ads from even being served as a worst case.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-24, 08:02

Sorry for repeating a point already made because I didn't recall. You'll have to excuse me, I've been trying to do a lot of things at once here, with a code overhaul and having to take over Linux building. The hot weather not helping brain function ;P
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-05-24, 17:27

Moonchild wrote:Sorry for repeating a point already made because I didn't recall. You'll have to excuse me, I've been trying to do a lot of things at once here, with a code overhaul and having to take over Linux building. The hot weather not helping brain function ;P
Off-topic:
Well come to think about it what I did wasn't exactly the best course of action. So don't apologize dude! Melty brain is hard to deal with! Besides, as community members and Pale Moon users who are passionate about the product and project it is our responsibility to help. Also remind me about the linux thing next time you are in jabber.

avada
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by avada » 2014-06-01, 15:40

Moonchild wrote:Part of Pale Moon's core mission is to provide an as neutral and unbiased browser as possible. Providing people with integrated ad-blocking would go directly against that, because I'd have to make decisions on a per-provider and per-site basis what to display and what to block. That would be creating (strong) bias in the browser itself, and it would impact all sites visited, large and especially small.
Don't underestimate the legitimate income for small site owners. Do I want to support undermining those sites? No.

So, I won't be putting an ad-blocker in Pale Moon's core, and instead let every user decide for themselves if, what and how to block on sites they visit.
You don't have to provide any blocking rules. Just users to make rules themselves or load rulesets. It'd also be useful for blocking other stuff than ads. (Sot it could be called a content blocker/filter) A lot of websites have a lot of heavy garbage that wastes performance and impairs usability. I often hide such with ABP element hiding helper.
Moonchild wrote:As an aside to the OP: Compiled JS code is about as fast as c/c++ code these days. There's no large difference. Large parts of the browser front-end are written in JS and variants.
I seriously doubt that. I never saw anything made in JS/XML/HTML with some degree of complexity that wasn't sluggish, crappy and memory hungry. The FF frontend being a prime example of these properties. Actually I think all of these should be dropped for something that integrates a bytecode format (JAVA/.net/pnacl like) for code and a graphics layer (opengl/dx/mantle like) for graphics. (+Add some standard framework atop so that the common bloke can make a webpage too)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-02, 09:20

avada wrote:I seriously doubt that. I never saw anything made in JS/XML/HTML with some degree of complexity that wasn't sluggish, crappy and memory hungry.
I suggest you look again, then. In addition to JITing hot scripts, Pale Moon also supports Odinmonkey (specific optimizations for asm.js which aims to close the gap between JS and native even further). Javascript is treated as managed code. It hasn't been treated as interpreted code for a long time with the exception of one-shot or few-shot scripting (where compiling would take longer).
And if you want to make a point, I suggest you don't mention "js is memory hungry" and "java" as an alternative in a single breath ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

jangdonggun1234
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by jangdonggun1234 » 2015-02-08, 05:11

Hi
If you want to use the best and fastest AdBlocking software, take a look at Privoxy.
I can do Element Hiding Helper with CSS injection, Greasemonkey with JS injection and much more.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-08, 10:57

jangdonggun1234 wrote:Hi
If you want to use the best and fastest AdBlocking software, take a look at Privoxy.
I can do Element Hiding Helper with CSS injection, Greasemonkey with JS injection and much more.
Nice idea but using a proxy has a lot of drawbacks as well, not in the least the lack of site-specific control, and up to breaking secure site connections.

nctritech

Unread post by nctritech » 2015-02-15, 21:48

It seems that the biggest objection to adding ad blocking to the browser core is that "ad blocking" has a lot of sociopolitical attachment involved. Instead, how about a "filtering engine" that filters pages and just happens to use the same rule definition "language" as ABP? Don't provide any rules by default, obviously (maintain neutrality) but allow the user to "subscribe" to published filtering rules in the same way ABP does and to right-click and create new rules based on the current page content. Effectively the same user-facing functionality that ABP offers but with no default filtering configuration and none of the stickiness that comes with calling it "ad blocking."

One of my favorite extensions is called Nuke Anything Enhanced; it's terribly useful for removing transparent GIFs stretched over images to apply click-for-next-image navigation (but having the side effect of right-click not clicking the image). Market it that way: allowing users to customize their view of a web page by selectively removing elements.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-02-15, 22:36

That has no place in in the core of a web browser. It is NOT the job of the web browser to filter content. This is what add-ons are for. Such as Adblock Latitude.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-02-16, 01:18

A web browser is a web client. Its purpose is to enable the download and display of web content. Unselectively (is that a word?), unbiased, and unprejudiced.
It should also not in any way change the content as-delivered, making pages not displayed as-intended by their publishers (in a way that could even be seen as a breach of copyright or a form of censorship).
It should also not inherently and automatically undermine the internet economy -- often hitting small publishers harder than corporations.
And it should always be the end user's choice to determine what they want to block and how they want to block it.