Make "Automatically Install Updates" more streamlined

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Make "Automatically Install Updates" more streamlined

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2014-05-01, 21:23

Moonchild wrote:As for the color scheme: Pale Moon uses system colors, to make sure a global color scheme is followed as much as possible. That is by design. Normally, people who use high contrast Windows settings want it applied to everything (it's for accessibility for the visual impaired), so system dialogs etc provided by Pale Moon will follow that.
Well Chrome of all things allows you to toggle it off. I mainly use the high-contrast theme because I'm commonly using my PC at night and the dark colors help not make my eyes bleed. However, at least in Firefox / Pale Moon, the high-contrast theme makes all background images black which makes some websites not work correctly (I think Flickr is one?).

I'll test Portable Pale Moon with the variable you mentioned set to false, but as you know, it takes like an hour for the automatic update to kick in. :P

EDIT: What the heck? Portable Pale Moon has two seemingly identical entries of "app.update.staging.enabled" If I toggle one of them it visually won't update until I do an F5, and then there will only be one entry of "app.update.staging.enabled" (which will say 'false').

EDIT 2: Doing it again, there now only seems to be one entry... whatever, I've already tested the process once through, I'm now testing it a second time.

EDIT 3: OK here's the jist. With the setting "_" set to 'false', when I click the link in the update notification popup, I get the following like you would in non-portable Pale Moon.

However, after you click "Restart Pale Moon" or click "Restart later" and manually restart, it comes up with the following

But clicking OK will take you to this next screen where it'll actually download the update and successfully install on the next browser restart

So, uh, I guess clicking the link in the update notification popup kind of works now?

opera1215b1748

Unread post by opera1215b1748 » 2014-06-24, 08:18

PaleMoon v24.6.1 on winXP-SP3 Pro here, under a non-administrative user account.

Pressing the Help->About the Pale Moon->Check for Updates immediately attempts to download and apply an update (which, of course, fails as I would expect).

I'd like to see an announcement about an update availability rather than the download of it in such occasion.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-24, 11:57

The about box will handle things a little different in the next release. That should address your concern.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

opera1215b1748

Unread post by opera1215b1748 » 2014-06-30, 10:35

Thank you!