Sort tabs

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
WebZapped

Sort tabs

Unread post by WebZapped » 2014-04-11, 09:58

I would like the ability to sort tabs by site, alphabetically, by visit count or by visit date. That way, if you have many tabs open you could quickly find what you are looking for because they wouldn't be mixed up.
I searched Firefox addons and couldn't find any tab sort addon except one that just sorted by title, and that was from 2011!

dark_moon

Re: Sort tabs

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-04-11, 11:21

Why not click on "show all tabs" and then search for your tab?
No addon needed ;)

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-04-11, 12:02

Agree with dark_moon, the "show all tabs" is very effective for that in my experience. (It's the little icon with 4 square at the right of the tab bar, if you didn't change its location)

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-04-11, 12:29

Yes the search function is great too! btw is there a keyboard shortcut to open the "list all tabs" menu?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-11, 13:43

jumba wrote:btw is there a keyboard shortcut to open the "list all tabs" menu?
Ctrl+Shift+Tab
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

WebZapped

Unread post by WebZapped » 2014-04-11, 19:04

dark_moon wrote:Why not click on "show all tabs" and then search for your tab?
No addon needed ;)

not when you have quite a few open!

Also, I'd think the show all tabs feature would work better if the sorting also applied to that screen so I guess I'd add that to my request :)
Last edited by WebZapped on 2014-04-11, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-04-11, 19:14

If you type a few letters of the title of your tab (just make sure it isn't ambiguous), then enter, it will directly send you to the tab. I would say if you have hundred tabs, it's even more effective than looking the tabs, even sorted.

WebZapped

Unread post by WebZapped » 2014-04-11, 19:41

Supernova wrote:If you type a few letters of the title of your tab (just make sure it isn't ambiguous), then enter, it will directly send you to the tab. I would say if you have hundred tabs, it's even more effective than looking the tabs, even sorted.

Well, right now I have many open Pale Moon tabs mixed up with tabs from other sites. Typing wouldn't work because they all begin with the same name. If I was able to sort by site, all the Pale Moon tabs would be grouped together, all the facebook tabs would be together, etc.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-04-11, 19:55

WebZapped wrote:Typing wouldn't work because they all begin with the same name.
If you type a few letter corresponding to the site, and wait ~1 second ; it will let you only the tab matching, allowing you to choose easily from the tabs of a site. :)

Also you can type something which is at the middle or at the end ! So as long as the tab has a meaningful name, you can find it direcly if you remember it approximately. You can mix a few letters to identify the site and a few for the special tab you search, separated by a space, it will work fine too. (for example, with several palemoon tabs ; "pal sta" send me to the start.palemoon one)