Tab at top in fullscreen and at bottom in windowed

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Supernova

Tab at top in fullscreen and at bottom in windowed

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-03-29, 17:33

Hi, I discovered pale moon yesterday and switched to it from firefox in prevision of australis :thumbdown: coming. I like the spirit of this project :thumbup: , and was glad to see back some options firefox had mysteriously deleted, like tab at bottom. This made me think :

Could there be another option than "tab at top" and "tab at bottom", to well have what is in the title, without having to manually switching each time ? It doesn't take a lot of time to switch manually, but well it's not practical when you switch a fair amount of time between full screen/windowed. Also, simply if you work with a fullscreen window and a windowed one like it happens for me from time to time, you can't have that.

Thanks for your attention !

dark_moon

Re: Tab at top in fullscreen and at bottom in windowed

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-03-30, 10:02

Welcome to the forum!

You have a easy way to config the title: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3766

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-03-30, 21:27

Thanks, but I read the topic you linked and it seems for me it's not related to what I suggested ? I have no issue with the title. :shock:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-31, 06:28

It should be possible to do this with an extension fairly easily. I don't plan on putting this in the core of the browser even though I do see the intended logic behind it, since this is very much an edge case (no pun intended) and I'd like to keep the UI layout consistent regardless of the screen mode used.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-03-31, 21:04

Thanks for the reply.
I agree with you that it's an edge case.
However, I don't see exactly how this make the UI layout inconsistent, especially if this follow a voluntary choice from the user ?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-31, 21:57

It's inconsistent by changing the ordering/grouping of UI elements based on screen mode. And if you go there, then you'd also have to make a special case for maximized window (would users want to swap ordering then as well?), or maybe make a special case where just the edge of the window touches the edge of the screen, etc. -- so no, not something I'm going to put in, myself.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-03-31, 22:17

Your "if you go there" seems a little bit exaggerated. :think:
However I see the idea behind.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-31, 23:21

Supernova wrote:Your "if you go there" seems a little bit exaggerated. :think:
It's just a normal expression; not meaning anything negative. As in: if one is considering that as an option.
But we're not here to discuss the English language, I believe?

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-04-01, 07:28

I didn't said anything about the expression, it was about the consequences you depicted. Sorry if I was unclear.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-01, 12:18

The consequences and assumed requests for additional behavior are most certainly not exaggerated, it's even just what popped up at the top of my head, and far from other personal specific wishes people might have. To make this kind of thing happen, the browser would have to start saving different UI layouts (instead of just one) depending on if the window is full-screen, maximized, windowed, snapped to a screen edge, etc. - that would create a lot more complexity to the browser UI that should not be needed.

I think if you ask in the add-on community, you can probably find someone who can create an extension to do what you want, if it doesn't exist yet - it should be as easy as checking the browser window state and flipping "browser.tabs.onTop" to the desired value in a listener. I personally don't have time to write something like that.