preservation of history(cal) sites

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
databaseben

preservation of history(cal) sites

Unread post by databaseben » 2014-03-03, 20:22

would like to be able to forever preserve certain entries in the bookmarks history, aside from saving them as bookmarks via the toolbar.

so in addition to "forget about this site", it would be nice to also have something like, "preserve this site".

the difference between the "preserve this site" and "bookmark the page" is that we can preserve pretty much all the pages viewed, studied, analyzed of a site on the back end without having to clutter up the bookmarks toolbar on the front end.

thanks for your help and understanding.

dbben

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: preservation of history(cal) sites

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-03, 21:21

Web archiving is not part of the tasks of a browser. You'd be better off with a dedicated program for that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

databaseben

Unread post by databaseben » 2014-03-03, 21:33

have i posted the feedback in the wrong place?

i thought this forum was a place to "rethink" what a browser like palemoon could do for us,

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-03, 22:55

Nope, the feedback is in the right place, and I appreciate the feedback - I'm just saying that it's not something that falls within the scope of a web browser.

Given how flexible and extensible Pale moon is, you could probably, given enough effort and the right add-ons, make it into a CMS, but as far as features in the browser itself go, web archiving won't be one to consider.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

databaseben

Unread post by databaseben » 2014-03-04, 01:27

perhaps so. but the scope of a web browser is evolving. for example, it is not within the scope of a "web browser" to be a editor. however, google and microsoft thinks otherwise with their online services, ie google docs on live docs.

while it is true that i am welcome to learn and use code to develop an idea into reality, unfortunately i don't have the time anymore to fiddle around with code.

i beleived that my suggestion was a simple one and something that a little tweaking of the current features in browser could accomplish, and not an overhaul, per se.

in any case, lets us remember that no one what they are missing until somebody creates it.

thanks anyways.

personally, i prefer the smiley and frowny faces when we use to click on "submit feedback". but obviously, evolution is at hand.

dbben.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-04, 01:53

databaseben wrote:perhaps so. but the scope of a web browser is evolving. for example, it is not within the scope of a "web browser" to be a editor. however, google and microsoft thinks otherwise with their online services, ie google docs on live docs.
You are confusing "on-line services" and dynamic documents with browser features. The browser itself is not the editor there, the web page is.
By your same reasoning, the browser would then also be a 3D game (because there are things like the Unity plugin), or an emulator (because there are js-based emulators that run in a web page), or a back-office suite (because you can make a productivity suite using dynamic pages), etc.
databaseben wrote:personally, i prefer the smiley and frowny faces when we use to click on "submit feedback". but obviously, evolution is at hand.
This is not Firefox. :)
Any feedback on the Pale Moon browser should go to this forum, and not to Mozilla's simplified :thumbup: :thumbdown: form. Mozilla has no use for feedback on Pale Moon. That feedback, unless it specifically applies to official Firefox builds, would also be summarily discarded if it ended up on a Mozilla Corp. desk.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-03-04, 10:38

I really can't see the difference here between bookmarking and preserving pages for later use :?

If you want to make it easier to bookmark pages and less cluttering I suggest to try this add-on
QuickMark :: Add-ons for Firefox
and create folder "preserved sites" e,g, :thumbup:

databaseben

Unread post by databaseben » 2014-03-04, 14:48

well, in the book mark toolbar i would want to keep it lean and mean, and just have the main url of a site.

but in the history part, in order to keep it mean and lean too, i like to delete the accumulating garbage of visited sites, ie the main urls plus the sub urls plus the sub sub urls, etc....

deleting and cleaning the history is pretty easy with via several options.

however, i would like to exempt / preserve specific main urls, sub urls and sub sub urls from being cleared out with the rest.

while saving sub urls can be done in the bookmarks toolbar, it makes a mess of things on the front end.

the above is just a thought. seemingly the management of urls is something that seems to be marginalized, though it is the butter of the proverbial bread and butter for browsers.

lastly, if no one likes the idea or wants to bother, then so be it. i have better things to do than to argue. while i can appreciate honesty and logic, sometimes a little white lie or a little hypocrisy goes a long way and makes a discussion short.

thanks.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-03-04, 16:05

I think the history management is a mess and I hardly use it myself, only for few occasions when I have forgotten the name of once visited page. It needs ideas like yours, and it's a talent to think differently in a new way.
databaseben wrote:but in the history part, in order to keep it mean and lean too, i like to delete the accumulating garbage of visited sites, ie the main urls plus the sub urls plus the sub sub urls, etc....
I only recall this add-on that tried to do something to the accumulating history. It has an interesting idea to remove all the "question mark" pages from the history:
Question Marks History :: Add-ons for Firefox

There was also one that made the history be viewed as a tree layout, but this goes off the track.. :)

databaseben

Unread post by databaseben » 2014-03-04, 16:31

thanks for the kind words. i will look into the add-on. but i really would like to stop adding more code to my computer, especially code that may not be perfected or may have a dual role, ie a malicious role.

as such, i have tried to use the search feature to produce a specific list of urls. but exporting that lean listing into a dedicated bookmark file was to no avail, as "all" the bookmarks from history are exported.

however, if i could export only the list(s) i want from history, then i could create a dedicated index on my desktop and then edit out what i don't need.

there is also the tag feature. but i would not want to spend hours over the course of many days, weeks or months creating neat and organized tags only for those urls to be inadvertently wiped out in a second during spring cleaning.

in the interim, i will do what i can with what i got. thanks again for seemingly being nice

:-)