Restore "Load images" in settings

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
access2godzilla

Restore "Load images" in settings

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-02-26, 08:31

Some time back, Firefox (and Pale Moon) had a load images checkbox, with the ability to allow/block images per domain. Pale Moon does have a combo box that allows something similar, but it breaks many things (due to the lack of granularity).

In fact, this has given rise to an incongruity -- images can be blocked from specific domains via the identity panel (which is sheer PITA) , but there's no way to remove them!

Could the granular control be restored in Pale Moon? (Well, of course it can be restored and extensions exist to do this, but I'm asking whether MC would restore them in PM.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Restore "Load images" in settings

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-26, 08:51

"No way to remove them"? how so?
If you go to about:permissions, you can review all stored settings and manage them.
If desired I could add a menu entry for this to make it more accessible, but the "old" image blocking method was very clunky and has in all ways been superseded by the permissions manager.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-02-26, 11:43

I checked in about:permissions and there isn't an option to block/allow loading of images.

Am I missing something?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-26, 13:06

Hey, interesting. I thought Mozilla would have added that there as well, but apparently its missing. I'll see if it's feasible to add it myself.

Sorry, but it seems the only way right now to set and clear it is through "page info" cat "permissions" where "Load images" is available at the top, "Use default" will follow the global settings, "Allow" will always allow the images and "block" will not allow images for the site. You'll have the same granularity that way as with previous settings (with the added option to load from originating site only for default setting).
Page Info -> permissions actually gives you very fine control (e.g. selections for individual plugins), the Permissions Manager only shows the "most common" settings.

If you very regularly have to block individual images per site, it may be more useful to use filters in an ad-blocker extension.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite