A PaleMoon Update Question

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Toodee2

A PaleMoon Update Question

Unread post by Toodee2 » 2014-02-20, 00:27

Hi All,
I've been installing Pale Moon on a number of new computers & everyone has been very pleased with the browser.

Some of the users are elderly & are being put off by the update process....they understand that they should accept the update, which they do, but they panic when the uac prompt appears.....as you know, the Program name is updater.exe & the Publisher is Unknown.....its the unknown publisher that's putting them off.

Is there any way that the name Pale Moon or some other identifier can appear somewhere in the uac prompt?.....

It would save a lot of anxiety for newer users & cut down on the panic phone calls I get, that something unknown is trying to take over their computers....lol...

Many Thanks,
Toodee2

lyceus

Re: A PaleMoon Update Question

Unread post by lyceus » 2014-02-20, 00:41

Hi!

The trouble is that Micro$oft asks a huge load of money for add their "license" (aka add them in a database) to any software. In an open source project like this one, we cannot afford for buy such expensive license so the executable remains "unsigned" from Micro$oft (hence the "unknown" publisher) and trigger the UAC warning. Tell your folks to just install from our official page or mirrors (found in the main page indeed).

The real trouble can come if any antivirus or firewall detects some virus in the executable, those are added in rogue versions that are shared in file share websites like rapidshare, please avoid them.

Take care!
Lobo

Toodee2

Re: A PaleMoon Update Question

Unread post by Toodee2 » 2014-02-20, 01:39

Thanks very much for the explanation Lobo......I'll be changing the way I explain the updating procedure to the Senior's & include it in the notes that I leave with them....other than the bit of updating confusion, the Seniors love PaleMoon & don't want anything to do with Internet Explorer.....& I'm right there with them!!..... :clap: ....

I appreciate your help,

Toodee2