Titlebar font

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
link68759

Titlebar font

Unread post by link68759 » 2014-01-28, 19:13

Thanks for bringing back the titlebar- it's something that I've been missing in my palemoon setup, and only very recently got around to restoring myself.

But it could be a little nicer- or maybe it's not rendering correctly for me?

Here's what palemoon is displaying

Here's the solution I had prior to this update. The text is centered better. Font size is a preference I guess, though I like it this way. The ratio of font size to space here just looks neater, and not squished in.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Titlebar font

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-01-28, 20:57

It seems to be a Windows 8 specific problem. The larger font size only appears on Windows 8 (the default size as-defined for desktop windows' title bar is used).

I'll have a look at improving placement and font for Windows 8 specific use for the next release of Pale Moon - it's a new feature and there are (obviously) a few small niggles with the execution on that OS.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Alexandra

Unread post by Alexandra » 2014-01-29, 03:09

It also doesn't play nicely with Omnibar or Personal Titlebar. Pale Moon renders its title underneath the Omnibar and Personal Titlebar title.

(Personal Titlebar is an add-on that lets you move any UI element up into the titlebar. Great for saving vertical screen real estate. It also renders the current tab's title in the titlebar.)

[direct link to wide image]

Issues:
- Pale Moon title is in black text, which clashes or is illegible with various themes/personas
- Pale Moon title renders behind Omnibar

I'm hoping for a way to disable Pale Moon's title display so it doesn't conflict with Omnibar or Personal Titlebar. Font and especially color controls would be good too (for other users).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-01-29, 03:21

You can disable the title via userChrome.css if it doesn't play nice with your extensions, see http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 746#p21927
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Alexandra

Unread post by Alexandra » 2014-01-29, 03:41

Did the trick. Thank you.

link68759

Unread post by link68759 » 2014-02-01, 21:30

I saw in the recent update's changelog that this was addressed, but it unfortunately had no effect. I've tested a newly created profile to be sure it wasn't anything in my setup.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-01, 22:20

It should be similar to this on Win 8, which is centered vertically.
Your title bar is obviously a lot slimmer than the normal Win 8 title bar, so I guess you'll have to tweak it yourself. Forcing a smaller font would break the uniformity with other Windows 8 applications' appearance...

[(Image failed to load)]

link68759

Unread post by link68759 » 2014-02-02, 00:46

Your picture isn't loading, I can't see it.

Oh, I hadn't noticed my titlebar was smaller than normal- that wasn't something I did intentionally.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-02, 08:11

I'll have a look if I can find a better solution for it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-02, 09:40

I've seen what the problem might be; Win 8 needs special treatment (surprise-surprise). Expect this to be a little better in the next iteration of Pale Moon.

As for the image not showing, ge.tt has failed me for the last time. I'll be looking for another no-frills file hoster. Any suggestions?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-02, 16:16

Pale Moon on Win 8 will have the following font setup for titles in the next version:
win8-pm24.3-3.png
That should address any placement concerns for the title.

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-02-03, 08:10

Moonchild wrote:As for the image not showing, ge.tt has failed me for the last time. I'll be looking for another no-frills file hoster. Any suggestions?
Maybe use services like imgur/minus for images, and mediafire for the source code archives?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-03, 10:04

I've had some issues with Mediafire in the past, but it seems they shaped up.
Images I should simply attach to the forum messages instead of linking externally, not sure why I tried otherwise this time :P

EDIT: Nope, still a problem. Unless I pay them at least $5/month, their downloads are completely ad-ridden (including pop-unders, etc.) which I won't inflict on users. Besides, at that price I can probably get a really cheap VPS to host stuff on :P

access2godzilla

Unread post by access2godzilla » 2014-02-03, 11:16

Moonchild wrote:their downloads are completely ad-ridden (including pop-unders, etc.)
Ad ridden? Here it looks like this:
http://i.imgur.com/lAoFo9k.png
(That's in PM with zero extensions/themes)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-03, 11:28

Yeah, try to download any of them. The ads are on the next page, the moment you actually try to get one of the files.
4 large ad fields and occasional pop-under browser windows (despite setting the Firefox popup blocker active).

(Oh, and "preparing download" is there to make sure you see all the ads in full for at least 10 seconds before you can get the file)
Attachments
mediafireads-1.jpg

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2014-02-03, 16:09

You could try http://postimage.org/ for, well, images. They seem to do lots of forum-ish stuff.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-03, 19:07

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'm not really looking for an image hoster for the forum -- it handles image attachments just fine by itself.

tribaljet
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tribaljet » 2014-03-22, 00:32

I second the issue of the titlebar font, not so much about size but rather how it sits at the bottom of the titlebar as opposed to the center, which makes certain letters cross over to the address bar.
Attachments
title.PNG
Portuguese translator of Pale Moon

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-22, 08:33

I've made an effort for the title to be vertically centered properly on Windows 8. in my test setups it looks proper, so I don't know why it would be so low for you. A stock install of Pale Moon 24.4.1 on Win 8.1:
Windowed
Windowed
Maximized
Maximized

tribaljet
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tribaljet » 2014-03-22, 18:25

I should've added that I'm using small icons, and with regular icons it's aligned properly.
Portuguese translator of Pale Moon