.gif playback

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
DarkStarr

.gif playback

Unread post by DarkStarr » 2013-11-09, 00:53

Can we get an option at the least, even if not default to prevent .gif files from playing until loaded? I have a beta of FF that had this and I liked it a ton. They have since removed it and with australius incoming I switched over to PM. I have no idea how difficult this would be to add so if its too much no big deal, just a neat feature I miss from the beat. (I got used to it and it was nice not having the laggy frames)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: .gif playback

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-09, 01:24

Can you dig out which beta it was, exactly, or, even better, find out which bugzilla bug this was related to?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

DarkStarr

Unread post by DarkStarr » 2013-11-09, 01:51

I have a copy of the installer. I think I also found info on what the deal was behind it. Evidently it was a bug/glitch. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=899861

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-09, 09:29

Yeah, loading the entire animated gif before starting the animation is definitely a bug. Looking at it in more detail though, I noticed a different issue with them in the current code base that needs to be addressed, as it doesn't seem to draw the first frame completely before animating when still loading. I'll have a look into that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Ryrynz

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2013-11-09, 12:08

If you could fix this it would be a pretty big deal and a huge win. Nobody likes watching stuttering GIFs as they load, it's a major peeve of many users.

DarkStarr

Unread post by DarkStarr » 2013-11-10, 02:33

Hell yea it would. That's why I miss it. Also pretty funny that a bug caused it to not play until loaded.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-10, 07:07

DarkStarr wrote:I have a copy of the installer. I think I also found info on what the deal was behind it. Evidently it was a bug/glitch. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=899861
Actually, looking into that, that's completely unrelated as it doesn't affect the v24 code base (status-firefox24: unaffected)

What is the problem is that the current code base decodes images in much too small bits at a time (because the UX team has been pushing the UI responsiveness ahead of actual content processing too drastically). I think I have a solution for it, but I need some good material to test this.
Please throw me some problematic URLs and/or images?

Note to self: check bug #666352

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-10, 09:36

Um, so, the issue is that you're dealing with a slow server to serve (some of) these images, and "animating as they are streamed" has the first loop through being a slower frame rate? Not much I can do about that since it's inherent to asynchronous image animation. (Note, for me only 2 of these images had a slow "first loop", the other two didn't).

Pausing the images until they are completely loaded may be something I can look into as an option, but it'll be relatively low priority and would be very much a user preference. For most uses, starting animation as soon as frames are ready would probably be preferred.

The thing I looked into myself is unrelated to this and related to a different problem with decoding animated gifs, so you can ignore what I said above about that.

Ryrynz

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2013-11-10, 09:58

Moonchild wrote:Um, so..
Yes :)
Moonchild wrote: Not much I can do
Ah..oh well.
Moonchild wrote: Pausing the images until they are completely loaded may be something I can look into as an option
I like your thinking.
Moonchild wrote: but it'll be relatively low priority
Okay :(
Moonchild wrote: The thing I looked into myself is unrelated to this and related to a different problem with decoding animated gifs, so you can ignore what I said above about that.
Consider it Ignored.

DarkStarr

Unread post by DarkStarr » 2013-11-11, 17:16

I dunno if I mentioned but the build that had this bug/feature was 25a1. It was only there for a short time though.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-11, 19:10

DarkStarr wrote:I dunno if I mentioned but the build that had this bug/feature was 25a1. It was only there for a short time though.
As said it's irrelevant to Pale Moon as it uses a different code base.

asmian

Unread post by asmian » 2014-08-16, 02:58

:silent: